PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Hester you've probably left no stone unturned in trying to find it but just in case are you aware of the pension advisory service? They could well help find lost pensions, personal not just workplace ones.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Thanks Fuddle but when I say lost I meant stolen by my ex husband.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mstm buy a couple of solar lamps then you will be able to read even with no electricity when it is dark. You just leave them on a windowsill to charge them.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hester Surely you don't mean your ex was able to help himself to the money from your own pension pot? Was it in joint names?
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Fuddle but when I say lost I meant stolen by my ex husband.

Huh?! :eek: whadda guy eh? A real piece. Sorry Hester :mad:
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Yes Ivyleaf it was in joint names so he was able to move it around, heyho, he has the money but he is miserable.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For a little while we ploughed most of our pension money into OH's work pension - I had a little tiny one i took out when i was 25 and have never expanded. Until I realised that i could lose out big time if something happened to us - or if he dies when i would only get half. He couldn't understand why i wanted to take out my own pension - ultimately the law has changed and i could sue him for it if we were to separate, but that's expensive as we know.

I seem to have the last laugh though as we withdraw all of that big pension and invested it elsewhere - all in my name :p
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hester. No worries. Karma will get him.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes Ivyleaf it was in joint names so he was able to move it around, heyho, he has the money but he is miserable.

Oh Hester :( What an unbelievable b*****d.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2016 at 12:35PM
    Options

Alternative places to go for a couple of hours or so if own property is experiencing a cut-off - check. That's more of a problem in a more rural area unfortunately
    Well yes and no. In my experience, ('oop north' at least) many people in rural areas have solid fuel stoves. I even cook on mine some nights. I was practically laughed off a forum recently when I posted about Christmas tips for people like coal delivery men. It was like I was harking back to some quaint old custom like sending kids up chimneys. But I would say nearly everyone in my village has a fire or a stove. My neighbour has two! We will have the last laugh.... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure