PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Thinking about bicycle trailers

The bicycle trailer is a wonderful thing if it's a Carry Freedom one, but not if it's a Roland one.
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a magical weekend ahead mar :j Are you feeling any better yet?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Definite improvement Ivy thankyou!
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2016 at 9:22AM
    Options
    I kinow we have already discussed this, but there was another heads up from someone on Channel 4 yesterday which was that the price of imported commodities was going to go up after Christmas and people should 'start emptying shelves now'. Yes that was actually what was said :eek:
    Food prices would feel the hit first but this would eventually filter through to all imported goods including goods manufactured here with components from overseas.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Was it the board of directors of Tesco who said it? :D Well I hit Costco last night and I got my stash of teabags safely home.
  • Living_proof
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Was it the board of directors of Tesco who said it? :D Well I hit Costco last night and I got my stash of teabags safely home.

I stocked up on Yorkshire Tea for hard water, oral B toothpaste and corsodyl daily when I passed Asda yesterday. These are the only brands I really buy and mysupermarket had them as by far the cheapest price on this occasion. I also bought an Asda Christmas card and will get the £6 bonus next week - I've had these for the last few years and the 'interest' is far and away better than anything else on the market.

I have stocked up with soaps, toiletries etc. throughout the summer at car boot sales. This is where all the boxed sets end up and for just a few pounds I have more than enough for the year ahead.

The freezers are all full to the brim and there's a lot of dried goodies in store, so I am hoping the anticipated price rises will hit me gradually over the next few months. My biggest bill by far is the council tax, and there's precious little I can do about that.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My son looked on bewildered as I bought another asda card. It's *almost* sweet how naive he is about money until I think this is my child who should be leaving home in another year. At which point I rather try not to panic. He assures me he can cook - pot noodle. Jar curry if pushed.

I really must take him by the scruff & show him what his great grandmother sent her son off with - lovingly handwritten notes on how to cook twenty recipies not including variations, & then haul him through the palaver that is a proper roux, followed by a real white sauce. Or the sort with stock whose name escapes me. Yet this is the child who think Scoville is a useful score, and thus has a palate that could well be tarmac.

Then go back to loading my dehydrator with persimmon slices. Yumm!
    The YS nectarines & plums I'd though to make jam with were met with snooty expressions, so instead of jamming them I chopped & dehydrated them & they are a delicious find in a small plastic bag in a coat pocket - loads of flavour & chew!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I taught two of my sons how to make a roux, a ragu etc. before they left home - the third hasn't exactly left yet, and has hooked up with a young lady who loves to cook - and one has taken this on and loves his adventures in the kitchen. The other's still living on Pot Noodles and pizza... sigh! And that's the one who was "liberating" stuff from my store cupboard & freezers to keep his church in picnics & BBQs... I suppose someone else was actually cooking it! But he's the only male in the household who has learnt to make a fire properly or cut bread. What goes around...
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Definite improvement Ivy thankyou!

i'm so glad :):):)
  • mardatha
    Options
    That's the winter started up north then.. Cairngorm mountain rescue called out yesterday. Team leader Willie Anderson described conditions as "ferocious". Temp here is currently 2C and we've to get possible snow this weekend.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37876566
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport