PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 16 mega index/christmas chat!!!

Options

Comments

• SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 July 2016 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Hello All
    I am so excited to see this thread :snow_lau

I have got a couple of bits for family, I bought 4 Kipling foldable shopping bags during glitch on the Kipling site 1 each for my Mum mil and bf (and 1 for me!) I also have £50 in Amazon vouchers from work which will go as 3 gifts. Just bought 4 little beauty gifts in the m&s sale for £10.50 so another 3 there (1 is for my bf birthday next month) I also bought 6 Christmas candles from sainbob back in January as gifts for this Christmas. I am also knitting a scarf for mil once I find the right coloured yarn, am looking for variants of green.

On a side note it is my ds birthday next Tuesday, he didn't really ask for much, some minecraft plush toys, a book, but most importantly a large gift bag filled with apples:rotfl: he really loves apples!
    We are taking him to London Zoo next week though, doubled up £20 of Tesco vouchers to pay for 2 adults and 2 children
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • hermionesaver
    Options
    Hi there,

I'd like to join please.I want to start getting sorted for xmas as have a pretty small budget this year. I'm going to try and get as much as I can with vouchers/boots points etc. So far I have £15 amazon vouchers and about £12 worth of boots points so a way to go!

I normally make a few xmas presents too so will try to do as many as I can this year.

Looking forward to some nice xmas chat :)
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2016 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Continued yesterday with the Prime sale. I got a little wooden play kitchen for my DGD for 45% off plus little pots and pans and plastic food. That's her main present done!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was having a root through the present stash yesterday and found a Jamie Oliver Biscuits and Brownies kit (similar to this) so I think I will shift that into the Christmas box and also put together the ingredients to make some biscuits in a kilner jar and DS can have that all boxed up :)
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    cheel wrote: »
    Yes any sign, fire escape, no parking, hazard he loves the. They are on his bedroom walls!! Lol!! Xx

When my DS was small, a long, long..........long, long time ago we used to pick up wheel hubs that had fallen off cars or go to the breakers to see what we could get cheaply, we took them home and cleaned them and he had them on his wall He had a Ferrari , A Porche, Audi, VW, etc etc all over the one wall. We even went to the council yard and bought a grotty looking traffic island cover for a fiver that had a crack in it, we cleaned it up and put a lamp inside with the crack to the wall, it looked really effective.

If he is into cars how about getting him a wooden garage? They start from £5 on ebay.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    If you are making fudge as gifts, use christmas cookie cutters to make them festive, pop in a box, top with cellophane and a small bow or ribbon and you have a perfectly acceptable gift.

Or how about making gingerbread men pop two holes in their middles and thread ribbon through to make a garland.

For teacher gifts this year I have been buying a couple of coffee glasses in wilko every week and am going to fill with festive fudge or I might make mini gingerbread houses to go on the rim with some hot chocolate or fill the glasses with assorted hot chocolate and a few mini marshmallows and a chocolate spoon
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »

Does anyone still do stockings for the kids? We do and they love it but loads of people don't seem to bother now.

I am 45 and I do stockings for hubby, dad and brother - hubby does stocking for me. Christmas is not Christmas without a stocking, and you are never too old!

Although we use reusable bags now, rather than cut up tights - last year everyone had a Hessian bag to put in the boot of the car so they always had a bag for shopping trips.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Love to see the thread going! so many views ... interesting how many people are reading and not replying

I wondered what traditions you all had christmas wise?

For example

I make chilli jam every year for random gifts
    i make my orange slice decorations
    Last year i took some undecorated to a friends with all the bits to decorate. She really loved it and loved giving them as gifts. I've made them with lemon lime and orange slices. Would be a great activity for kids if you had them dried up and strung ready to be decorated
    What else... pear drop vodka is made every year:rotfl: it's so tasty yet lethal :rotfl:
    ummmm i have a few nights of wine at the table just covering things with glitter and christmas confetti - everyone should have a tub of christmas confetti :rotfl::D
    one of my closest friends daughter is away travelling so i make a point of going to her house to decorate it for christmas as she wouldn't make half the effort if doing it herself
    i love to go into work decorated at the very last few days coming up to christmas, usually with mini lights wrapped round me ha ha:rotfl:
    i have an evergrowing collection of christmas based headwear 0 deelyboppers - paperchase sale, i love you!!!:o

silly traditions but part of making it special

what do you do???
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• hermionesaver
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »

My mum used to make these when I was little. I may re-ignite the tradition with my kids this year! She used to add whole scrolls of real cinnamon too and they smelled gorgeous!

I'm planning on making some cushions for people this year. I mad a couple last year and it was so quick and easy so I'm going to write up a list of recipients and get making!

I started my xmas shopping this weekend. I work in a jewellery shop and we have a good sale on at the moment so I got a lovely pearl drop necklace for my DH's mum and another as a spare present. Only £8.99! Also converted some points I'd earned through work into amazon vouchers so I now have £19 of amazon vouchers for xmas spending.

I'm looking forward to having all the pressies organised and done before December so I can focus on having a really good xmas month with my littles having days out/special breakfasts and might even venture in to elf on the shelf this year!
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm one of the readers!

Going to get a bottle of vodka today to make some Limoncello, I've ordered little bottles to put it in (if it gets that far!).

So far that's about it but I shall be on the lookout for things to make mostly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure