PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 16 mega index/christmas chat!!!

Options

Comments

• p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Islandsmaid and Freyasmum.

A wicker basket sounds a good idea for the christmas eve box. Currently scouring ebay and amazon for any bargain boxes. Said the Dh earlier that as long as I keep them under £15 each I'll be happy. Especially as I'm planning on using it year after year. I've always done the christmas eve pjs, book and teddy so just expanding on that.

Spotted pjs in matalan today for the children I buy for. Only £5 a pair and I really like matalan Pjs. I've found them really good quality. Going to wait for a discount code before I buy them though. I was really proud last year as i didn't pay full price for hardly anything last year. Need to keep that tradition up this year.

Got a few more things on my list to make. We are having a big family holiday to florida in 2018 so want to make each dd and me and dh a disney 2018 savings jar each. Currently scouring etsy for disney decals. Also want to crochet a christmas coloured blanket for the living room.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SILLYVIXEN found one at this website and as my grandson is steam train mad am going to order one for me too, thanks!

kitchenscookshop.co.uk it's DEXHAM TRAIN COOKIE CUTTER and costs 95p.

Hope that helps, Lyn xxx.

Thank you, looks like train short bread is on the Christmas stocking list.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    P-pincher, we covered a box that you can buy from post office to send parcels in, with appropriate paper. It only had to last the one year when DGD was here from overseas for Christmas. The boxes you get photocopier paper in are really useful too, if you have access to an office, or some who does. Not sure if you wanted something a bit more substantial though?
    Carolbee
  • Handbag59
    Options
    p-pincher have a look on Pinterest the are some really clever ideas and downloads so you may not have to buy something from Esty:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm enjoying reading the latest contributions to the thread.

In case anyone hasn't already tried this, silicone bakeware works well as chocolate moulds. I have little moulds for chocolate but have extended the principle to some heart and star shaped individual cake pans that are lurking in my ktchen. Recently I made chocolate and nut hearts as gifts - each had 150g chocolate and 50g chopped mixed nuts so were substantial treats. The silicone moulds offer a clean finish.

I've got loads more chocolate to run down from my baking stash and the stars will come in useful for Christmas. I think I'll ice individual names onto them as little table gifts when the time comes.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • hermionesaver
    Options
    P-pincher - when my 3 were younger I,d make them Christmas Eve boxes - a DVD each, pair of pyjamas, a Christmas mug, with a sachet of hot chocolate and some mini marshmallows - a bag of popcorn and some fluffy socks - kept them amused and out of the way whilst I got the prep sorted for the 'big day' - I,d cut down wine boxes and cover in Christmas paper
    We have a white wicker basket that my daughter gets on 1st Dec. It has her advent calendar in, our Christmas story book, and the night before Christmas that we read (funnily enough) on Christmas Eve. It also has a mug, hot chocolate sachets, some other chocolate sweets and the Christmas film that we have on dvd. And anything else I can find.

It's pretty much the same stuff every year, but it doesn't lessen the excitement. Point is, I agree with Islandmaid, these things needn't cost a fortune to be special - it's already a magical time of year

I love these ideas :) I think I will try and do a 1st December hamper and a Christmas Eve one. We have a few books and things which we get out every year so I can add these to a 1st December hamper. :) I will have to get over to Pinterest for some inspiration!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I bought my dad a nice jumper for his Christmas from the ASOS sale. Was reduced to £7.50!!!

I've made some enquiries about a spa day for my mum and gran and it appears I'm best to hold off until closer to the time as vouchers may only last for 6 months. Damn.
  • Handbag59
    Handbag59 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    SpekySquare... I think the sales are the best time to buy any Christmas novelty item like jumpers, socks, I once brought some special Christmas cards that had a little decoration that detached and you could hang on the tree, I hadn't realised that it had the year on it so it was a bit embarrassing when my friend opened it! luckily he saw the funny side.

I can now post a link for my blog if you want to see the things I have made so far if you are interested. :)

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/50-makes-for-christmas-1-to-10.html
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 August 2016 at 6:00AM
    Options

We will do each other a stocking, don't normally bother, and I'm doing an advent calendar of things to do, which is what our grandchildren who live abroad do,Ie, watch a film etc, so that we can swop notes with them. Carolbee

oh I love this idea! I work part time and DH has seasonal work so we could really make this work? Thanks! :T

I have also been decluttering and am dreading getting presents that take up space. I have been conditioning my relatives who insist on giving to give me something to buy me a gift card and they are pretty good at this.
    This year there have been a number of job losses. When did GB become such a mercenary nation that job contracts are for 2 years then you are out?? I know why (so employees never get employment protection) but my lovely neice is now job seeking and her mum was made
    redundant when her employer ceased trading.

Not trying to depress anyone! I love Christmas but am struggling to convince relatives to spend less / zero on me when they have little to spare. I am considering asking if they would limited amount to £5 and just use their imagination. Making something, buying in CS, or giving their time (I once gave my mum a voucher for a home made afternoon tea :D). Oh, maybe I could suggest we all do HM gifts, for fun?! It may appeal to MIL as nostalgic?

The big problem is MIL. She simply cannot consider spending less than currently, when in reality she could spend her money on much needed home improvements to help her daily living. I tired suggesting we just do secret santa, so limiting spending but she must buy for everyone ( and, please don't think I am ungrateful, but the items often go to waste because she buys things we already have. She is over generous but I am saddened that she could spend on her needs when I have enough so I feel guilty, iyswim).

I need to raise the issue now and see if I can lower the cost of Christmas for our family!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Why not suggest everyone writes a wish list of time or skill things - decorating your MiLs bedroom (from the family), h/m afternoon tea, weekly lawn-cutting, monthly supermarket shop etc. Then maybe an arty child or teenager could design vouchers?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills