in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
72 replies 13.5K views

Replies

• MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Viewing tonight was disappointing.
    House was in a state, roof been leaking for a while and black damp patches through the ceiling. Kitchen horrible, bathroom and ensuite need ripping out and the whole place ridiculously overpriced, even the EA said so!

Has to go to the docs today too and it seems my blood pressure is through the roof. Laughed when she asked 'do you feel stressed?'.
    Understatement of the year...
    Have to go back on Monday, if it's no better then it looks like medication for me :(

Throughly fed up.
    Mortgage @ March 2019 £107K, now £79,600
    Mortgage OP's so far: £4339.43
  • copperjarcopperjar Forumite
    884 Posts
    Hi MeandO. Was following you on the finding a house to buy thread - how you getting on?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Dolly_RockerDolly_Rocker Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi MandO,

Just caught up with your diary.

I'm gutted for you that you missed out on your dream home due to those issues.

I have everything crossed that you will find a perfect home for you & your son.

Will subscribe to keep up to date on your journey & to celebrate with you when that happens.

Hope you are feeling better.

Dxxx
  • TropicallyTropically Forumite
    427 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    House buying is incredibly stressful. I wish you luck in your search and I hope your doc's appointment goes okay.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

Well, I am in the process of buying a house. It's not my dream house and I've had to make some hefty compromises on boxes it needed to tick (parking, for example may be a bit of a pain), but it got to the point where I had to buy somewhere and this was by far the best of the very small bunch that was on offer.
    I do like the house and am looking forward to making it ours. Most importantly, due to its location, it will hopefully make my life a lot less stressful and I can go PT at work and spend more time with DS.
    It is also £30K cheaper than my current house, so I will be able to pay a big chunk off the mortgage and have some money left for redecorating.

The survey is due to be undertaken on Friday, I just have everything crossed there are no major issues as it is an old house.

Will update with any news after Friday and then, as soon as we're in, I fully plan on keeping this diary up to date with my mortgage overpayment journey!

How's the purchase going Copperjar?

M
    x
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time for a quick update from me I guess.

House sale and purchase both going through and just awaiting an exchange date within the next couple of weeks now. The survey on the house I'm buying brought up a few minor advisories, but nothing out of the oridinary considering the age of the house and nothing that actually needs doing imminently.

I'm still struggling to find the enthusiasm for this move.
    Ironically, I have recently started to like being in my current house a lot more than ever and feel more settled there than I ever have since moving in. :( Ds is loving life too at the moment, is happy in his school and full of fun.

But, as I keep trying to tell myself, this move isn't about the house we live in, it's about the quality of life we'll have and the fact I'll get to spend more time with my son and be less stressed with commuting, work and travel times to pick DS up from school. I'm just hoping it all works out that way.

It's not helping that I now have had to appeal to get DS in the local school as the place he was given previously has now gone. I am waiting to hear of an appeals hearing date from the Education board. :(
    I feel so incredibly guilty at moving DS to a different school when he is happy at the one he attends now, but it's just not possible to keep him in the present one, distance wise. I am praying he settles well and quickly.

Oh, and my car died. Big time. I just had to spend £5K on a reliable replacement. Thankfully, I had the money saved in the bank, thanks to an inheritance earlier this year, but it has all but wiped that large chunk of savings out which I was hoping to put towards some renovations and a little safety net.

Nothing's easy is it.

Hopefully I'll be back with some more positive news soon!
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been a busy bee tonight. Ds is at his Dad's and my OH is busy tonight, so I've been cleaning the house and attempted to start packing (with the two empty boxes I currently have!).

My buyers are coming tomorrow to 'measure up' again, athough I'm a bit suspicious tbh as they've been evading the estate agent and delaying setting an exchange date all week, so I'm half expecting something to kick off next week.
    Anyway, I've cleaned and tidied the house for their visit. If it does all go **** up, at least I'll have a clean and de-cluttered house!

I've sold a couple of bits locally this week, so that will be £45 heading my way next week when they collect, and a bit more space cleared. I have a couple more bits Ive listed on Gumtree, so I'm hoping they'll sell shortly too. If not, I will charity shop them rather than move stuff I no longer want/need.

I took a car full to the charity shop on Thursday. I really don't know where it all comes from! I never thought I had a lot of 'stuff' as I can't stand clutter and am not a materialistic person, but since decluttering in anticipation of this move, I must have taken around 5-6 car loads of stuff to charity, not to mention the bits I've sold/thrown or given away!

I have the removals company coming next week to quote for removals, so I'm hoping they can provide boxes too and I can really start packing properly then.

I need to pop to the shop tomorrow and return a juper I bought last week that was too small, so that wil be £20 back in my account.
    I also had a refund on my old car tax, so I have a cheque for £43 that I need to put in the bank too.
  • KittenkirstKittenkirst Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can do the removals yourself boxes are easy to get from any local shop if you chat nicely to them- I've moved twice now and crisp boxes are ideal sized as fit most things but not so big you overfill and can't carry.

Good luck with the exchange. Fingers crossed for you :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks KittenKirst,
    I have always moved myself too in the past - hired a van etc., but this time I'll be on my own with DS in tow, so I have elected to hire a removal company this time. I will be packing everything myself though, so I'm hoping they can provide the boxes.
  • MeandOMeandO Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A(nother) stressful weekend, arguing with estate agent over buyers wanting personal items and effects not included in the sale (clearly stated not included from the listing), and now them wanting me out of the house within a week as they are 'going on holiday and want to be moved before then.'
    DS upset because he doesn't want to move schools or house.

Seriously considering pulling out of the whole thing.

So tired and stressed and fed up with it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides