Sharing Parential leave

Hi all
Wife expecting 1st child at xmas.. as normal she will get 9 months off with her package but she has to return to work for 2 month after or have to pay back the money they paid while she was on maternity leave.
We no friend or family so will be quite hard but would this work... i take the last 2 month off (so wife go back after 7 months) as maternity leave so she can do her 2 month, also would it have to be full time or part time back?
My company proberly wont pay me for this so would i be entitled to any benfits to cover or help us for the last 2 month?
After think she plan to work full time and pay a child minder (if she does the above won't matter) as since we home owners we won't be entitled to anything.
Any other ideas we could do. Wife better paid than me so have thought about quitting mine for a year till child 2yo where we get 16 hours child care a month then i go part time at my current job or else where.
I know it like i have over a year but just want to see what options we have as google bring confusing answers or not a direct answer., we not worried as we always find one way round it :) Can't wait for this little one to come along best thing ever..

Sorry if this in wrong place... :beer::beer:

Comments

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I need to go back to work for 12 weeks or I need to pay back some but it's only what the company have paid over and above the statutory which is £138 per week. If she doesn't plan to go back to work she could maybe forfeit the company contributuon? Or if your going with your plan of shared leave you will get the statutory pay.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,798
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Or if your going with your plan of shared leave you will get the statutory pay.
    Does that not depend on the OP having worked for his employer long enough before baby arrives? He does not say how long he's been there.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Airwolf20721
    Airwolf20721 Posts: 24 Forumite
    8 Years .... i need 2 months off.... oh wait the baby need looking after dam
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Does that not depend on the OP having worked for his employer long enough before baby arrives? He does not say how long he's been there.

That's true...26 weeks by the qualifying week (15weeks before due date) with average of £112 earned a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure