MSE News: Record number of complaints against Extra Energy helps spark...

edited 4 July 2016 at 5:17PM in Energy
25 replies 4.6K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 4 July 2016 at 5:17PM in Energy
An investigation into Extra Energy has been launched by Ofgem after a record number of complaints to Citizens Advice...
Read the full story:
'Record number of complaints against Extra Energy helps spark Ofgem investigation'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why, they are ex npower management who left the ship when made redundant
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    354 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    if they are currently under investigation shouldnt the MSE's Cheap Energy Club remove them from their results until things have improved?

this always used to be the case with companies who are in difficulty in the past.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    minislim wrote: »
    if they are currently under investigation shouldnt the MSE's Cheap Energy Club remove them from their results until things have improved?

this always used to be the case with companies who are in difficulty in the past.

I think that you will find that this can only happen when Ofgem imposes a temporary ban on sales.
  • gadgetmindgadgetmind Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting. Before going to market, energy customers have to show that they can handle transfers in and out, and issues bills correctly, for around 400 customers to prove that all of their systems are in place.

Either they fudged the pilot or their systems didn't scale due to having too many manual stages. I'd love to know how they screwed this up because there are most lessons to draw from failure than from success IME.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Bark01Bark01 Forumite
    849 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be because their system didn't scale and/or can only cope with straight forward accounts. From my experience in the industry its the small % of problem accounts that accounts for the majority of unexpected workload and failure of systems.
  • edited 5 July 2016 at 3:00PM
    gadgetmindgadgetmind Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 July 2016 at 3:00PM
    True, but I'm fairly sure who's handling their flow for transfers in/out, and these guys can handle any problem cases, and I've also got a pretty good guess at where they've sourced their CRM system. Others have gone this "off the shelf" route pretty painlessly so these guys are either trying (and failing) to go DIY, or simply haven't got even the most basic of a clue.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    354 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hengus wrote: »
    I think that you will find that this can only happen when Ofgem imposes a temporary ban on sales.

but MSE has done this in the past with other suppliers in other area's of business. such as telecoms, banking etc.

all they need to do is blank out the section where Extra energy would be and leave a note that they have removed them due to record numbers of complaints.

they would be doing potential customers a favor!
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    True, but I'm fairly sure who's handling their flow for transfers in/out, and these guys can handle any problem cases, and I've also got a pretty good guess at where they've sourced their CRM system. Others have gone this "off the shelf" route pretty painlessly so these guys are either trying (and failing) to go DIY, or simply haven't got even the most basic of a clue.

same people involved, who killed npowers that's why
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • gadgetmindgadgetmind Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But npower had a whole lot of legacy to cope with. Starting afresh *should* be fairly easy but ask me in a year! ;-)

• crazyfjcrazyfj Forumite
    290 Posts
    Please avoid this company.

They based my Direct Debit usage on one winter month billing. Sent emails advising I wasn't happy at paying just a large monthly amount. Now a simple thing, but they totally ignore you. Even customers relations ignore you. Switching to them took 2 months for some odd reason.

I have left them, but EDF have so far been unable to get a final meter reading from them.

No customer service at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides