Where to start?

Options
My holiday was a bit of a nightmare. I booked via an agency GOTOGATE, I will try to summarize simply what happened and won't go into the boring details.

1. Flights booked in March 2016, return flights rescheduled to two days later 10 days before the start of my trip. (Trip: 5th June, return 24th June 2016, original return date 22nd June)

2. Madrid to Frankfurt with Iberia, 35 min delay so missed connecting flight with Air China to Shanghai. There was only originally 2 hours to catch the connecting flight anyway. Who's fault is this: Gotogate, Iberia or Airchina ? It was Sunday evening, nobody from Iberia around or Air China. Frankfurt information desk also tried to call them to no avail. They booked us into a hotel. Next morning a handling agent (not Iberia) rebooked us with Lufthansa to Shanghai. (Lufthansa and Air China are part of Star Alliance)

3. Return flight from Shanghai to Munich delayed 8 hours. I missed my connecting flight from Munich to Madrid, my connecting train to Alicante too. At midnight I was looking for a hotel in Madrid and stayed overnight.

I made a claim with Iberia via the online form which was "case closed/no compensation" in 48 hours with no email to inform me. (I looked online for an update). No answer from AirChina.

I have travel insurance (World Nomads/Bupa) and all receipts but they need official statement from the airlines that the flights were delayed, if they are going to compensate me and the reason for delay. I have a feeling I'm not going to get an answer from the airlines at all.

Does the agency GOTOGATE have any responsibility? (Terms seem to say no but wanted to check)
If the airline does not respond how can I get what I need for the travel insurance? Flightstats show that there was a delay so surely that is sufficient evidence for the travel insurance company, this is my primary concern.

Is it correct that because my return flight from Shanghai to Munich was with a NON EU airline (Air China) I have no compensation to claim due to the 8 hour delay and missed connections?

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills