Moving into flat with only one address - what are the problems?

I'm just about to rent a ground floor flat and have just discovered after looking online, that both the top floor and ground floor have the same number - no defining address (i.e. A, Ground Floor).

I have looked online to subscribe to services such as BT and only one number is listed, checked royal mail and the same thing.

What are the implications of this? I imagine it will be very confusing to order these services, such as electric, gas etc.

Can someone please help?


  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Unless it's a new property or you're connecting a new utility then you'll be using the same address as the previous residents. My experience is that the utility companies seem to be happy to make up their own flat positions irrespective of what the Royal Mail or the council think the address is.
  • arthurfowlerarthurfowler Forumite
    154 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I hope so, but I can't help but feel if there is no defining address and I live in the same place as someone else, even things such as fraud may be easier.

    I'm not sure, but i've just never come across anything like this before.
  • dc197dc197 Forumite
    811 Posts
    Well if you are defrauded you know wherr to look first for the fraudster.
  • moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K Posts
    Personally - I'd just tell people "My address is Ground Floor Flat, no. x, so-and-so road".

    People can readily see which flat is the ground floor flat after all. Utilities etc presumably note on their records "Ground floor flat, top floor flat etc" just as one would expect.

    Dont decide to call it Flat 1a or Flat 1b (as that could leave them coming to different conclusions - with one utility thinking "That must mean top floor flat" and another one thinking "That must mean ground floor flat").
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    Assuming the properties have been legitimately separated then the council will have an address for each, but as davidmcn says that counts for nothing with RM, utilities, etc. I once owned a flat that had been converted from a corner shop and was variously known as 1, 3, GF3, GFL, and the correct name, PF3 (which stands for Pavement Flat 3 - not that there was ever a PF1 or 2).
  • Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Is council tax separate for the 2 flats?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Pixie5740Pixie5740 Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I live in a flat which shares an address with the other flats in the block. I didn't have any trouble setting up utilities. These flats have been here since the 1930s and each has it's own council tax banding. Utilities companies kind of make up their own addresses like top floor flat, flat c, attic floor but as long as you give the correct gas and electricity meter serial numbers you'll be fine.

    When I go on holiday I use Royal Mail's Keepsafe service so that no post is delivered for me until after I get back from holiday. I know my neighbours and whilst I doubt they would take my post you never know. It also stops my post from piling up in the close.
  • AlexMacAlexMac Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We had the same issue; in a 6-unit block, converted in 1980-something with flats numbered 1-6.

    It worked fine except that our flat (flat 2, at 24.... road) and the other five flats in the house didn't show up separately on Post Office postcode software such as that used by the NHS.

    So lazy or incompetent administrators, having pumped in the postcode, would then send our hospital appointment letters to number 2! "Cos Komutr sez no 2/24"

    I've since moved, but I think our shared freehold Company Sec was in the process of fixing it with the PO,
  • benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Assuming that the council tax department has separate addresses for the two properties, you can contact Royal Mail and ask them to add these addresses to their database. You don't have to use the same addresses as the council tax department, but it will probably make life easier if you do, unless they are using something really stupid. Google "royal mail address maintenance" - I was in this situation a couple of years ago and emailed them. They updated their database pretty quickly; of course it took a while to filter down to the various organisations that use it, as they may not update their copy of the database very frequently.

    Utility companies will just make it up as they go along.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • edited 1 July 2016 at 9:24AM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 July 2016 at 9:24AM
    Gas and Electric suppliers will use the MPAN number for your meters. They may query the address.
    I'm in a flat in what was two semi detached houses. Dropdown lists sometimes lack flat numbers and sometimes refer to either one or both house numbers but this can be corrected by contacting the companies. My council has three versions of my address on its list which recently caused problems. I would talk to the neighbors and create flat numbers for yourselves. No idea how the process works but I suspect its simple. As above, how do the council refer to your property?.
    I'm not a cat.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides