How to install a basin waste

Options
2»

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't use plumbers mate or silicone, PTFE tape on threads helps, vaseline on rubber seals helps to. never try and refit old waste's new only cost a couple of £ and work first time if done properly. If I have to re use stick new rubber seals on everywhere. Make sure pipework is at a natural angle, any pressure on traps or wastes and they weep.
    I counted the joints on a 1 1/2 bowl sink the other day, from the waste's, trap, overflow, elbows etc in total something like 20 possible places for it to leak.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I counted the joints on a 1 1/2 bowl sink the other day, from the waste's, trap, overflow, elbows etc in total something like 20 possible places for it to leak.

I hope the customer wasn't paying for you to be sat there doing all that counting
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't use plumbers mate or silicone, PTFE tape on threads helps, vaseline on rubber seals helps to. never try and refit old waste's new only cost a couple of £ and work first time if done properly. If I have to re use stick new rubber seals on everywhere. Make sure pipework is at a natural angle, any pressure on traps or wastes and they weep.

That's why a decent plumber would bin the shed stuff me fit Mclpine

BTW ptfe on a basin thread would just stretch the back nut, its completely the wrong product used the wrong way
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »
    That's why a decent plumber would bin the shed stuff me fit Mclpine

BTW ptfe on a basin thread would just stretch the back nut, its completely the wrong product used the wrong way

Completely agree: fit McAlpine all the time, silicone the flange of the waste outlet to the basin top and fit a 'basin mate' to seal the 'underneath'.

Never fails, and if you're cussing about removing a sliver of silicone from the basin should you even need to change the waste outlet then you don't have enough in your life to worry about ;)

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills