Can he claim for dental treatment

Options
13»

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But come to think of it, there's a certain lack of logic in all this - if you can afford to feed and house him, why are you cavilling at a £20 bill for a filling?

If you/he can't afford the filling, then he should be claiming JSA so that he can receive free or subsidised treatment?

And if he's not amongst the deserving, then he shouldn't be looking for help with the dental treatment?

I'm confused.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of job is he looking for? Is it realistic? I see so many new graduates applying for jobs that are way above their expectations, and unless they look to starting lower down they may never get a job! Sadly now because every man and his dog appear to be going to university, the graduate jobs are an employers' market.
  • maggiesoup1
    Options
    Bananas123 wrote: »
    hello,

i think he is going to have to get a hc1 form, and then apply for a hc2 (help with health costs) (free if low income)

you can apply for backdatd reimbursement, but i don't know deadlines for doing so, also it takes a little while to recieve / process.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx

near the bottom > "scotland you can download"

or

Hi Bananas
    Thanks very much for your help on getting the right form. He's just received a full refund of £25 for his dental work and the right to get free dental work until he starts working. The process does take quite a while though, I'd guess about 2 months in all but worth it in the end.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Bananas
    Thanks very much for your help on getting the right form. He's just received a full refund of £25 for his dental work and the right to get free dental work until he starts working. The process does take quite a while though, I'd guess about 2 months in all but worth it in the end.

You don't want him receiving money without working for it and you don't want him going cap in hand, but by claiming free dental treatment he is doing both these things,

Do you think because he is not getting money in his hand that makes it different because it doesn't. He is still getting something for nothing, without working for it.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2016 at 3:00PM
    Options
    The N.I - it takes 35 years of NI contributions to get a full state pension - every year he misses contributing or gets credits for is an extra year to work at the 'other end'
    Get him to sign on and see the real world - the JC and the benefits system are real eye openers and he needs to get a jog on and get a job even if its just a stop gap job while he looks for something to make use of his degree.
    As for 'claiming from the pot' - he is no longer your financial responsibility and continuing to support him will not help him move on - I know this from bitter personal experience and if I could rewind my particular family clock - a son of mine would have been pointed at the JC door the day after graduation.
    At the end of the day - he doesn't need your permission to sign on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure