gorilla glass screen protector

in Techie Stuff
18 replies 1.6K views
ktjktj Forumite
272 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
Hi, I've just bought a screen protector for my Samsung j5 mobile. It looks as though it will fit ok except that when in place the glass will cover the flash for the camera that takes selfies. Does this matter?

My husband has the same phone but he has had his for a while. The cut out on the screen protector he has is bigger than the one on mine and so his does not cover the camera's flash.

As this is my first smart phone, I would welcome advice from more experienced smart phone owners. Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help. kje.

Replies

• Kernow666Kernow666 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    had similar problem with a HTC phone and didn't make a difference so should be ok for a Samsung
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Covering the flash isn't going to matter imo. I'd have reservations about covering the lens with a screen protector though.
  • bod1467bod1467 PPR
    15.2K Posts
    Forumite
    The thing I'd be most concerned about would be covering the proximity detector. (The thing that turns the screen/touch off when the phone is brought to your ear, so that your ear doesn't "press" random things"). If the screen protector covers that then the screen won't turn on. :)
  • ktjktj Forumite
    272 Posts
    Hi, Thanks for advice, but now I'm worried about the "proximity detector" so further advice would be welcome.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you don't keep your phone in with your keys and change, don't bother with a protector. The whole point of Gorilla glass is that it's pretty tough.
    If you really think you need one, I would get one that actually fits the phone correctly.
    Is it one of the new tempered glass protectors or one of the thin film type?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • ktjktj Forumite
    272 Posts
    Hi, It's tempered glass and I would feel happier fitting a protector in case it gets dropped. kje.
  • Big_GraemeBig_Graeme Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ktj wrote: »
    Hi, It's tempered glass and I would feel happier fitting a protector in case it gets dropped. kje.

A screen protector doesn't do that much to protect against dropping.
  • ktjktj Forumite
    272 Posts
    Hi, To me the cost of my mobile was a significant investment, so I do want it protected as much as possible. Also my son's phone has survived many drops and rough treatment thanks to his screen protector - he's now on his 3rd screen protector, but his phone is unscathed and is still going strong. So hopefully, if I can be reassured that the protector I've got will not interfere with the camera's flash so I can fit it 'cos I can't wait to start using my first smart phone. kje.
  • Big_Graeme wrote: »
    A screen protector doesn't do that much to protect against dropping.

Oh they do!

I've always been a nightmare in the past for dropping phones, cracking the screen. Touch wood I haven't broken a screen* since I started using glass screen protectors. Well worth a couple of quid a go.

*other than the S4 I shut in a car door but that's another story :)
  • bod1467bod1467 PPR
    15.2K Posts
    Forumite
    ktj wrote: »
    Hi, To me the cost of my mobile was a significant investment, so I do want it protected as much as possible. Also my son's phone has survived many drops and rough treatment thanks to his screen protector - he's now on his 3rd screen protector, but his phone is unscathed and is still going strong. So hopefully, if I can be reassured that the protector I've got will not interfere with the camera's flash so I can fit it 'cos I can't wait to start using my first smart phone. kje.

As previously suggested, the obvious solution is to acquire a screen protector designed for the specific model of phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals