How important is it to enjoy your job?

Options
124»

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I left Company A as I was working all the hours God sent and it got to a state that I was feeling guilty if I was at home as I knew there was work to be done and then I felt guilty when I went in on the weekend as I knew I was ignoring the family.....and I wasn't even getting paid for the o/t!

However I left to go to Company B and hated it from day 1 so when I had the chance to go back to A I jumped at the chance as things had changed and o/t was now being paid.

I've come to the conclusion though an an ex is an ex for a reason. I'll be moving on within the next few weeks.

Going back isn't necessarily a good thing as I've found dynamics change in companies as well as in teams.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    See most here are disagreeing, but I would stay in the job I hate if it meant better family life. I'd rather bring in a nice income and work 9-5 and go home for the evening to a nice house, then work a job I love that demands more of my free time and suffers on my home life.

Yes we spend 5/7 days there so if you can get a job that works for you and you enjoy - great, but we go to work so we can support the roof over our heads, take nice holidays and enjoy life in our spare time. Personally I'd rather not put it on my Husband having long commute times so I could enjoy my job - for essentially the same money but putting our family in a worse position, and again I'd rather work less hours, be able to walk round the corner to a job I hate then travel for 2 hours round trip to a job I love and miss out on family time. If it wasn't for my DS school and that we are already settled in this house, I would be thinking of moving to near where my Husband works (45min each way) but as he's not sure if he will be their long term it's a moot point anyway at this time.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is it you do OP?
  • sink_or_swim
    Options
    It sounds like you are swapping a job you do not enjoy for two potential outcomes
    1- a job you will grow to hate as you will have given up so much for it
    2- your relationship with your husband friends and family as you live so far away from them
    I know the title of this thread refers to not enjoying it, but I think that's me simplifying it. The day to day work is fine, and the overall subject area is interesting and personally relevant to me and my family. But I really struggle with the management, hours we have to put in, higher management watching everything you do and pouncing the minute you make any sort of mistake and a complete lack of recognition for how hard I work. That pressure causes me stress and I'm constantly on edge.
    However I agree completely with point 1. This job at my old place of work is just the easy option at the moment. But somewhere down the line it’s very likely to get less easy.
    Regarding the second point though, we have very few friends here really. We still have a load of really close friends back in our old city so would see them a lot more and we are also closer to family back in our old city.
    I left Company A as I was working all the hours God sent and it got to a state that I was feeling guilty if I was at home as I knew there was work to be done and then I felt guilty when I went in on the weekend as I knew I was ignoring the family.....and I wasn't even getting paid for the o/t!
    However I left to go to Company B and hated it from day 1 so when I had the chance to go back to A I jumped at the chance as things had changed and o/t was now being paid.
    I've come to the conclusion though an an ex is an ex for a reason. I'll be moving on within the next few weeks.
    Going back isn't necessarily a good thing as I've found dynamics change in companies as well as in teams.
    This is one of the problems with my current job. Everyone here works all the hours god sends and if you don’t you really stand out. So I end up staying late and most days I’m out of the house for 12 hours. There is no such thing as paid overtime so when you work out my hourly rate it’s not as great as my salary makes out. But I'm starting to see that an ex is an ex for a reason and it's not necessarily right to go back.
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    See most here are disagreeing, but I would stay in the job I hate if it meant better family life. I'd rather bring in a nice income and work 9-5 and go home for the evening to a nice house, then work a job I love that demands more of my free time and suffers on my home life.
    If I had the 9-5 hours and a short commute that would be different. But I currently travel over an hour to get to work and the 9-5 lifestyle is just a dream. I think hubby seems keener for me to take the other job than I am. Partly because his hours are flexible and so even if he had to go into work one day, it might only be from 11-2, so actually he’d be out of the house from maybe 7-6, which is less than I’m usually out for now. And on the days he is working from home, I’d be out the house for less than 9 hours so it’s possible I’d actually see him more overall. Ok some days he might need to be in work from 9-6 so he’d have to stay over the night before and maybe after, but this isn’t often.

What is it you do OP?

I work for a charity managing grant funding
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family