"Esure vs me" court date

Options

Comments

• Tothepoint.
    Options
    maddogb wrote: »
    Think you guys are a little confused with a subtle difference.
    Small claims cases like any other are decided on what the law is, evidence may be weighed by the balance of probabilities and that may decide if or not a law has been broken but will only come into play if there is no concrete evidence.

You'll need evidence to prove a case regardless of what court is sitting, if you have none you'll lose. Balance of probability (Civil Case) and Beyond reasonable doubt (Criminal Case) are the burden of proof required.
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    You'll need evidence to prove a case regardless of what court is sitting, if you have none you'll lose. Balance of probability (Civil Case) and Beyond reasonable doubt (Criminal Case) are the burden of proof required.

whilst generally true I am sure there have been cases where the balance has been tipped relying solely on evidence provided by the opposing side so the statement "you will need" is a bit strict hence I am not sure of the relevance of your post.
  • Tothepoint.
    Options
    maddogb wrote: »
    whilst generally true I am sure there have been cases where the balance has been tipped relying solely on evidence provided by the opposing side so the statement "you will need" is a bit strict hence I am not sure of the relevance of your post.

Don't think Esures solicitors will be stupid enough to provide evidence to tipnthe balance in your favour. So yes you'll need evidence to prove your case.
  • maddogb
    Options
    Don't think Esures solicitors will be stupid enough to provide evidence to tipnthe balance in your favour. So yes you'll need evidence to prove your case.
    Lol you said that not me.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 November 2016 at 9:45AM
    Options

Well it is down to the OP to provide evidence here as well and not just esure so by the full letter of the law both parties here can see exactly what the other one is going to use for the hearing, Pretty standard this across the small claims courts, I would believe it applies to the criminal courts as well here so your point is null and void I'm afraid.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eSure's stock price has dropped almost 30% on news of this court case.

NOTE - it may also have something to do with a demerger between esure and gocompare...but probably the court case.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm on tenterhooks waiting to hear the outcome. Did Esure hire a hit man or was it a victory for the little guy?
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Still no update?
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • maddogb
    Options
    Sorry peeps had a visitor arrive for weekend so been to busy will provide a full
    post match breakdown soon but I was denied the ability to claim punitive damages, and as Esure had already settled the main claim that hearing was dispensed with.
    I think I managed to scare them but not much more unfortunately, will give more details soon.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's very rare to be awarded punitive damages in the uk.

Would be interested to hear the full summary of the case, were costs not awarded either way?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure