Random question about TV volume...

Sorry just a really random question that popped into my ever-daydreaming head..... Does having the TV on a lower volume make it cheaper to have on? Would it be using less power?

:think:

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, there's literally more electrical energy being converted into moving the air via speakers, via magnets. But not so much that you would be able to notice. If you do want to save energy on an LCD, turn the backlight/brightness down, and of course, turn it off when not using it - these will be much more noticeable.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Yes but the amount saved is miniscule and not worth worrying about. As above reducing the screen brightness makes a small difference.
    Next question. Does using subtitles use energy and if so does it cost more or less than a lip reading course
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Does having the TV on a lower volume make it cheaper to have on?
    No, but your neighbours will be pleased! :D
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    VeGGie-STyLe Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    Yes, there's literally more electrical energy being converted into moving the air via speakers, via magnets. But not so much that you would be able to notice. If you do want to save energy on an LCD, turn the backlight/brightness down, and of course, turn it off when not using it - these will be much more noticeable.

Thanks I will do that, if I can work out how.....

<--- Technologically inept.

I watch catch-up so only have it on to deliberately watch something. And I turn it off at the socket when I'm done. Can I get some sort of MSE sticker for that? :p
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    You are an amateur.
    I only watch catchup when the sun is shining and my solar panels are providing free power.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    VeGGie-STyLe Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ajbell wrote: »
    You are an amateur.
    I only watch catchup when the sun is shining and my solar panels are providing free power.

Ah cool. Which programme do you choose to watch on that annual occasion? ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I bought a Sony Bravia TV a few weeks ago and I'm delighted with it but the sound isn't that loud,mind you my hearing isn't brilliant so I have the sub-titles on to keep my neighbours happy.but Currys wanted something like £180 for a 'sound bar' Now I'm not that techy so I didn't buy it having already forked out just under £300 for the TV anyway.Is this the normal price for this sort of thing ?
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,669 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    JackieO wrote: »
    but Currys wanted something like £180 for a 'sound bar' Now I'm not that techy so I didn't buy it having already forked out just under £300 for the TV anyway.Is this the normal price for this sort of thing ?

Soundbars start at about £50. Yes it seems to be quite common for flat-screen TVs to have weak sound so you haven't been sold a substandard TV!
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry just a really random question that popped into my ever-daydreaming head..... Does having the TV on a lower volume make it cheaper to have on? Would it be using less power?

:think:

the volume control is a resistor , when on low volume , all the excessive volume is being turned into heat

low volume = hot TV

honest
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business