Internet Problem

Options
wirm
wirm Posts: 5,273 Forumite
When I go into certain websites a box appears saying
You (or a program) have requested information from https://www.example.com. Which Connection do you want to use?

when i click on my isp details it just changes it brings up the dial-up box and when i dial my isp the website just changes to the "Cannot Find Server" window.

Would this be cause I have broadband?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated! ;D

Comments

• nitintejura
    Options
    hi I am sure your internet explorer has been hijacked by a trojan, download a copy of any hijack removal software http://www.noadware.net/new2/?hop=091558 seems like a good bet. Run this and hopefully you will soon be rid of the pesky problem

Nitin
    Live and let live, that is me.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wirm

This site is very useful for checking whether you have a Rogue anti- adware/spyware programme or not, and says which ones are ok.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • wirm
    Options
    I don't think its a trojan. I think that it is something to do with my Internet settings!

Any suggestions?

By the way I have AVG, AdAware and ZoneAlarm. These should tell me if I have a trojan?
  • Fran
    Options
    Wirm,

Is it just on some websites? Could it be your security settings then? Have you allowed or disallowed sites on your privacy settings (trusted sites)? Are they not allowed cos your overall security setting is too high? Have you checked your firewall settings?
  • wirm
    Options
    ZoneAlarm is set as medium. Internet Explorer is fine.

I have discovered that its only some sites. For example a picture as someones avatar from another site, it would appear then and if i when i click through the options it still won't appear.

Anymore ideas?
  • Fran
    Options
    Have another check on Zonealarm settings, I think there's something on there about allowing animations.
  • wirm
    Options
    nope it ain't ZoneAlarm
  • gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    check your connections box. ie/tools/internet options/connections

try turning zone alarm off to see if its those settings.
  • sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Does the 'Cannot find website' appear on all websites that you try?

Are you using the affected computer to connect to MSE to send these messages?

If you can connect to certain websites then you possibly have a problem with your hosts.txt file. See http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Tech;action=display;num=1095274057

If all access to the internet is not working then the IP address settings have possibly been changed / corrupted by your PC. I can post instructions on how to change if required.
  • qs
    qs Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Regretably I cannot offer any advice on your problem with IE.

I could suggest that you try an alternative browser e.g Opera. Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird. These in my humble opinion are far superior to IE and a much more secure as virtually all viruses are directed at IE.

Trying one of these may resolve your problem. Just type name into Google and you will get website concrened. Download will be quick as you have broadband.

Hope this helps.
    Waddle you do eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family