What warrants a negative feedback?

Options
I'm curious; how bad does a transaction have to be for you to leave negative feedback?

I've just left a neutral because the item was OK even if the service was rubbish. Neg somehow felt a little harsh but I know people who wouldn't have thought twice about leaving a negative in this particular situation.

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only leave a negative if there has been an issue (not as described / not received), and the seller has been useless in resolving it.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As with lottie, I'd only ever leave a negative or even a neutral if item was SNAD or seller unhelpful with an issue. I've been a member of ebay practically since it started, way back in ye olden days & in all that time I think I've only ever left 1 neg & 1 neutral.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • DRFC1879
    DRFC1879 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    As above, the general consensus seems to be that negative feedback is only left if there is a fundamental issue. That's certainly the way I go about it although as a seller I've had (very rarely) negative feedback for the most inane reasons. Some people seem to revel in the power!
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they don't communicate, mark as dispatched and the item isn't received on time then I will leave a negative without any second thoughts. I'll not contact them to give them a chance to explain as me paying for the item is the invitation to make contact if there are any problems.

I can't think of too many reasons to leave a negative when I am the seller. I either don't leave it or leave a positive. I've not really had a bad buyer yet.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    If they don't communicate, mark as dispatched and the item isn't received on time then I will leave a negative without any second thoughts. I'll not contact them to give them a chance to explain as me paying for the item is the invitation to make contact if there are any problems.

That's harsh IMO. What do you mean by "on time"? Those estimates on the listings are Ebay's, not the sellers'.
    I can't think of too many reasons to leave a negative when I am the seller.

Phew, there's a relief. What would you do if you wanted to leave one?
    I either don't leave it or leave a positive. I've not really had a bad buyer yet.

What would you do with a REALLY bad buyer?
  • jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't think of too many reasons to leave a negative when I am the seller. I either don't leave it or leave a positive. I've not really had a bad buyer yet.

Seller cannot leave neg fbk.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I only leave negative when there is clear evidence of scam, pay-day loan scam in particular.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's harsh IMO. What do you mean by "on time"? Those estimates on the listings are Ebay's, not the sellers'.

Phew, there's a relief. What would you do if you wanted to leave one?

What would you do with a REALLY bad buyer?

The seller should make themselves aware of the estimate. It's in part dictated by their ststed dispatch time and method of dispatch. So I don't think it is unreasonable in the slightest. They have to hit all three of those things for it to be an instant negative without contacting. I left positive feedback, or maybe it was neutral, on a case where I didn't even receive the item but everything else was handles well so I certainly think I am fair.

As stated previously, as a seller I've never had a reason to fault a buyer yet, but I like to assume that's because I communicate with them, dispatch when I say I will, by the method I say I will or better and upload tracking so they can follow progress if they wish. It's really not too much to expect when there is money involved.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As stated previously, as a seller I've never had a reason to fault a buyer yet, but I like to assume that's because I communicate with them, dispatch when I say I will, by the method I say I will or better and upload tracking so they can follow progress if they wish. It's really not too much to expect when there is money involved.

No it's not too much, but would you feel aggrieved if your prompt dispatch was delayed by the carrier and the tracking didn't update realtime (not many do).

Perhaps also your eBay dispatch notification was late (they can be incredibly unreliable) or worse still the buyer hadn't updated their email so the message didn't arrive in their inbox and they rarely log in, only to buy.

But, you hit the "3 and your out" [self imposed strike], so you get a neg.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above. I personally think a negative is only justified when the seller refuses to deal with a problem. Or does not send the item and does not communicate.

Everyone makes mistakes and problems happens. It all comes to how the seller deals with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure