Quality of personal finance education at schools

Hi all - is it just me or are other parents of 11+ year olds finding the quality (or lack of) personal finance education in some schools worrying? To be honest we have started to educate our kids about the rights and wrongs and wondered whether other parents did this and any tips?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,260
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How about the parents raking responsibility for their children's financial education instead of it being somebody else's job?

I know that may appear a radical idea in this day and age but it could catch on with parents taking back responsibility for other things that they have abrogated to other people because they didn't want to do it?
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think paying attention in maths (especially addition, subtraction and percentages) and a bit of common sense and education about the value of money from parents should be enough. My kids are still younger but when they will start getting pocket money they won't just get handed over money without educating them about it.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure