Debt-Free wanna be vs Maternity pay. Determined to stay on track.

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Huge house news - congratulations - sounds amazing - and pleased for your sister too - Hope she is OK.

Don't work too hard, and hope you feel brighter soon. Ramble xx
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Quick pop on to get everything out of my brain and it's clogged up!

Survey results still not back yet but a friend has mentioned the house needs repointing and it could be costly as the house is straight only the main path and would need permits for scofoldibg etc. Which has made me rethink wheather it's the right house for us. I love our currently location with having friends close by, a free school bus for ds come September and it's such a small village that the boys could play out on the park alone from about 6. You can see the park from my house. We could buy this for £85,000 of the landlord and extend which would also add value if it was still to small for us. It would cut into the garden a lot tho. There is no right or wrong answer that's the problem I just need to weigh up the pros and cons of each and make and decision I guess. Not good when I'm an over thinker anyway. ughhh house buying is stressful!
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Remember very few of us get our perfect house first time. Weighing up the pros and cons is good. What is the difference in cost between your current rented house and your proposed purchase? How much would an extension cost and can you live with a smaller garden if there is a park nearby?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Right a lot has changed again.....the survey was awful a lot of damp etc the house received a highter offer, the owners wanted us up up our offer which we refused....we were set on buying our current properly and received a quote for the extension we wanted.....then the perfect property came up on right move....it was like fate. Viewing booked and the house was absolutely perfect for us. Old RAF base so the area isn't the prettiest but that's refelected in the price. The house it's self is beautifully decorated bar the garden which is all paved so we will get that sorted and turfed for the boys. Offer accepted during the viewing and taken straight off the market. Conveyancing started today. Eeeek it's just perfect. I need to check in here more often and get back in the habit I'm not spending at the moment my dad is helping with fees and he brought my sisters wedding dress and marriage isn't my cup of tea. So fingers crossed by may we will be in. Hoping to save as much as we can between now and then to make moving easier, save some for the garden work. I want a cleaner once I move in as it's a large 5 bed that I will struggle to keep clean and tidy with my energetic boys so I need to make sure all the bills add up. Eeek!

Completely skint until 15th now. Me and dp are both off work Valentine's Day so thinking we will use Tesco vouchers to go to prezzo or somewhere for lunch with the boys. Dp has had an amazing start to the month at work so fingers crossed that continues it would be handy in the next couple of months pay packets were big for stashing money away.

Sorry bit of a random post. Just trying to clear my brain so it stops over thinking. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Guess I came on as I'm worried about removal costs etc we basically have £700 after deposit is paid. After having money in savings for so long it seems scary this is what's it's all been for tho so gotta try enjoy it then get back on track with emergency funds etc after the move.
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Firstly, huge congratulations on the house. It sounds amazing!!

Totally get your panic about having less of a stash in the bank and think that everything you can do now to squirrel away is a good idea. You can move yourself quite cheap if you hire a Lutin van and can ask family for help with childcare. Exhausting though. Would still be worth getting some removal quotes as if it's just picking up and moving boxes and furniture you could probably get that for under £500 and it's SO much easier!!

One thing to be aware of is that depending when in the month you get the house your first mortgage payment could be quite big. I think our first payment was £900 against a mortgage of £600 as it actually covered first 6 weeks. We hadn't realised this and it caught us short. You also need to budget in for eating out / feeding yourselves as in the run up to the move its really tough to get everything done as well as cook properly.

Exciting xxx
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Thanks Ramblehan :0) great advice. I've got quotes for a removal van and end of tenancy cleaner but dp works in car sales and thinks he could borrow a van for a day or two and rope some mates in to help so if we can save £500 there and pay for the cleaner I'll be happy with that. We don't really have much as both properties have built in wardrobes. Good call on the take away fund. I've made a jobs list of bits to sort around the house cupboards, shed etc so I'll add some bath cooking to the list too for ease. X
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow how exciting! I DREAM of a five bed house, means I could have all my kids in their own rooms, around here it would cost around 500,000 unless we struck lucky with a converted one somewhere, but would still be over 400,000 way out of our reach. :eek:

Yes get a cleaner (it's my job lol!) Help someone else pay their mortgage ;)

But sounds like it has all happened for a reason, good luck with all the house buying stuff
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    £123,000 it's madness round here! In the middle of nowhere but that's how we like it.....I am thinking maybe I could squeeze in another baby.....don't tell dp tho!
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Omg, that's less than half what our three bed ex council house is worth :eek:

I would adore to live in the middle of nowhere, we have friends on one of the Scottish islands, their style of living is my ideal. Unfortunately ;) in my younger days I fell in love with a man whose idea of lifestyle is vastly different to mine, so it never materialised.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport