DWP - right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
21 replies 4.3K views
GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
7.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I got a letter from the DWP saying that another (this will be the 5th) decision maker has looked at my file including the DLA file that wasn't considered during the initial application and has concluded that I am not entitled to PIP. Well as the letter was dated 10 days after I won a tribunal it just highlights that no one at the DWP knows what they are doing.

I am considering escalating to the ombudsman but that option isn't in the letter, is it ombudsman time or do I write and point out their incompetency first?
Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
(unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

Replies

• faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I can't answer your question, but I'm sorry to hear about the decision
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as a I know the tribunal decision still stands and this is just a classic example of the DWP not knowing what they are doing
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT

• whiteswanwhiteswan Forumite
    168 Posts
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    As far as a I know the tribunal decision still stands and this is just a classic example of the DWP not knowing what they are doing

I wouldn't assume that - I would call them and try and get clarification.

Dave
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's so incompetent. I hope you get it sorted soon.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well they can't just overturn a tribunal decision without seeking permission to appeal to an upper tribunal and they haven't done that

NOT BUYING IT

• HB58HB58 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    It is as you say -

1) The tribunal decision stands until/unless as 1st Tier sets aside that decision.

2) Many DWP employees appear to be totally incompetent.
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well yesterday morning I got the "has anything changed" letter so I assume they're not going to try appeal the tribunal. They have just over a week..

NOT BUYING IT

• Oh GlasweJen....

...now I am out of the whole rigmarole for a few years their incompetence makes me laugh...

...but when it's you they are arsing about with it's a lot less hilarious isn't it?

/hugs
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I got a letter from the DWP saying that another (this will be the 5th) decision maker has looked at my file including the DLA file that wasn't considered during the initial application and has concluded that I am not entitled to PIP. Well as the letter was dated 10 days after I won a tribunal it just highlights that no one at the DWP knows what they are doing.

I am considering escalating to the ombudsman but that option isn't in the letter, is it ombudsman time or do I write and point out their incompetency first?
    Have you brought in your MP yet ?
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MP is useless, when I called her at the start of this her advisor told me it's ok as I would get paid DLA during the appeal stage if I didn't get my MR.

My replies to complaints have all been basically "we got another decision maker to look and can't change the decision" and not addressing the actual complaint (rude staff, incompetent medical assessment that's now being investigated by the persons governing body, basic medical errors that a child can spot, delays in processing etc).

They have until Wednesday to ask for the tribunals statement of reasons so on Thursday they are going to hear me. I'm at the stage where I want to involve the ombudsman as I'm being fobbed off and I still don't have my DLA file.

NOT BUYING IT

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides