Discuss the Boost Your Income guide

Comments

• jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you Dave for your efforts and yes it's a shame I got the reaction I did but it won't effect me to much.

Gemma ☺️

You've already said that you lost a night's sleep over it.
  • It would be interesting to calculate the hourly rate on many of these, and perhaps order the list in that manner.

Speaking as someone who has been involved in the private tuition industry, it's fairly easy for a relative newcomer to earn around £15/hr, as long as you have a high level of expertise in your subject (this would appeal to university students in particular).

Having switched bank, which took about 15 minutes and earned me £100, I can safely vouch that is an hourly rate I would be happy working at!
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 340 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Hello there forumites.

I'm currently working on a point about selling tech 'leftovers', eg, product boxes, chargers, instructions, for this week's Money Tips Email.

We're looking for a case study, so if you've ever made money from selling odd cables, old software or unused remote controls you had laying around I'd very much like to hear from you - you can get in touch with me via this thread or kelvin.goodson@moneysavingexpert.com.

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

MSE Kelvin :)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2019 at 5:21PM
    I've often found that if you have , for example, a laptop with a broken hard drive that selling it as a whole raised very little but if broken down into the component parts , charger , keyboard , screen , motherboard etc you can raise 10 times as much on average than selling as a "broken laptop".

A broken Dyson or other hoover ? Same applies make more selling it as parts.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 340 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Morning Browntoa.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Do you have anexample of a model of laptop you broke down into parts and, if so, how much you were able to sell the different parts for?
  • Browntoa
    edited 22 January 2019 at 1:27PM
    Not sure if I still have the records.

From memory one was an extremely old Dell Inspiron 1300

£15 for the genuine charger . ( Cheap Chinese copies are a waste of time)
    £40 for the screen ( I left it in the casing and with the hinges so it was an easy 5 minute swap)
    £10 for the keyboard
    £30 for the motherboard

As a complete laptop I would have got maybe £20

The memory , casings , mouse pads , fans , power sockets etc all have value depending on the laptop.

eBay was my friend , Search on the make and model , tick "sold items" and then sort in highest sold price first.

YouTube normally has a guide to dismantling , a good set of jewellers screwdrivers is all the tools you need.

Think I have some paperwork for a couple of vacuum cleaners I sold in bits , will dig it out and post later when at home
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Found the Dyson sale list

Dyson DC05 , dead motor worth £5 whole.

After eBay and PayPal fees, postage etc

Head £2.68
    Wand £4.49
    Extension tube £23.72
    Dust cylinder £3.38
    Carry handle £5.55

Total sales £39.82 which is £34.82 more than whole unit
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • I see people here are trying a lot of services like survey programs to get some extra cash, so thought id share my alternative. I see people here are trying a lot of services like survey programs to get some extra cash, so thought id share my alternative called Nettle. It pays you cash for referring friends to ethical companies. The payout is much quicker and bigger than with other sites ive seen people here use, and you get the added bonus of helping ethical companies out. Am super interested to hear about alternatives as I'd like to also use other services as well/switch to another one if it seems better. :money:
  • Hi guys, As my title says..I'd like to boost my income.

Now I know £500-£1000 is a large figure, but aim high ,Right?

I'm looking for some advice on how I could possibly reach this goal, I have read a lot about match betting, But my luck with betting and winning anything in general, really is on the scale of 0% luck chance LOL!.

Does anyone have any other idea's that could possibly help me to reach this goal?
    Thanks!
    Debt Free wanna-be in a year.
    £15000 debt in October 2017
    £0 in October 2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business