When to buy Euros

Options
I am going on holiday in July, My Question is simple.... Do I buy Euros now or wait to see if we leave the EU?
What is going to happen to the exchange rate once we leave the EU?
Any help on this is appreciated!

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Applicants without crystal balls need not apply.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the maximum number of euros you want to buy?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • clueless_craig
    Options
    its going to be between £1000 and £1500 to exchange
  • spud_work
    spud_work Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If we vote to leave the EU expect the pound to slump against all of the world's major currencies in the short term as the market hates uncertainty.

If we vote to stay in expect the losses that the pound made in the last 6 months to be slowly regained.
  • philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    June 24th.
    Buy pork bellies !!!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't buy Euro now, nor make a booking...

If the UK votes to leave you might not be allowed into the EU, even as a visitor. And international flights might not be allowed to service the UK , so that holidays abroad would not be possible.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Stagger it, if you can. Buy a £100 prepaid card this week, another next and try to even out the swings & roundabouts?

Oh & when overseas? If we've voted out, claim to be Scotland born & appeal to the Auld Alliance in France. I've heard it has even smoothed over speeding tickets.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Leave it till you get there and use a an ATM with a top value CC or debit card because everyone knows the pound will be great value wether we leave or stay

But as voyager points out you may not be allowed in
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Given the way the markets have reacted recently I am of the opinion that they have already factored in a remain vote to win so although the rates will rise briefly after the results are announced they will probably settle back down to the current levels. I am going to Spain at the end of June and will be buying euro just after the remain result is announced.

To show that this is not a biased opinion I will add the fact that I am voting to leave, I just don't think that we shall.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would normally just take my Clarity card with me and pay the prevailing exchange rate but I'm off to the Eurozone at the start of July and I'm considering spreading my risk by putting half of my expected spending onto a pre-paid card this week while I have the money in my account following pay-day. It also means that I'll have a smaller credit card bill when I get back!

There's a fairly well balance article here: https://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2016/may/29/eu-referendum-brexit-when-to-buy-holiday-money-euros
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure