MSE News: You can now opt out of cold calls with just one free text

Options
2»

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm. Half the articles detailing this new service say to send the word TPS followed by your email address. The other half of the articles say it's TPS followed by your phone number. So which is it?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Hmm. Half the articles detailing this new service say to send the word TPS followed by your email address. The other half of the articles say it's TPS followed by your phone number. So which is it?

I would suggest OFCOM might know...
    The 'text-to-register' service, launched by the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)1 and Ofcom, enables mobile phone users to add their number to the UK's official ‘do not call’ database by texting ‘TPS’ and their email address2 to 78070.

The TPS requires a registrant’s email address as a means of verifying their identity, should they need to make a complaint.

Same link I posted before: http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2016/tps-text-to-register-service/

Edit
    Not to mention, when you text someone they automatically get your number...
    ====
  • MrsShazbat
    MrsShazbat Posts: 768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I registered my mobile with TPS - until it also stopped me getting my routine texts from hairdressers, dentist and GP about appointments and other info messages, so had to remove it.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • Ian011
    Options
    TPS has had a rethink and introduced a new number, 85095. This number is free on all mobile networks.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/06/second-opt-out-of-cold-calls-text-service-is-launched---but-this-time-its-free
    The old number remains active as it will take forever for the number change to become common knowledge.
  • Ian011
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business