Grandfather agreed to bad contract at EE

Options
I'm looking for some advice as while researching I cant find any useful info.

My grandfather woke up today and thought his phone wasn't working so called into a EE store (as currently with them although contract is over) and ended up getting a new phone while also having to pay an extra pound a month to £11 while signing up to 24 month contract. The phone he got is £40 to buy outright and all he uses is calls and probably less than 200min a month.
Personally I believe this to be very expensive contract for what he uses. And to make matters worse when I looked at the old phone I cant see how its broken as seems to work fine.

I always told him to let me know when contract is over and I'll call up and should be able to get a contract for about half what he is paying and I'll do it all for him.
Since he signed in store and I looked on EE site I cant see any way to cancel as no 'cooling off' period. Obviously they are under no obligation to look at old phone to see if really broken.

Does anyone know of anything that can be done????:(

I feel the only thing that could be done is complaints letter but also since I wasn't in store I cant tell exactly what he was offered.
He isn't one for shopping around and maybe 10 years ago 10£ a month was a decent deal so for me I'm sad he seemed to be tricked into such a deal.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Joe

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So he pays an extra pound a month for 24 and gets a new phone worth £40? I don't see how it's a "bad deal".

Is it really worth getting so upset about? £11 pm isn't an expensive contract. It's not like they "tricked" him to take out a 24 month contract at £58 pm for the latest iPhone, is it?

If you don't trust your grandfather to make sensible financial decisions perhaps you should look into POA?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with 19lottie82. On EE site, cheapest sim only is £9.99, admittedly for 12 months. So a handset for £24 isn't a bad deal. always assumimg he wanted EE coverage.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless he's got something like dementia then he's big enough to make his own decisions. I've got a family member who never shops around for anything - i find it mildly irritating but accept it's their prerogative & their money to waste.

Sounds to me like they've sold him the cheapest deal on their poor value network tbh.
  • joe1239
    joe1239 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I understand £11 isn't much but for what he uses, on other networks he could easily get for £5-7.

The new phone he got, would be £40 to buy so providing the retention team didn't offer anything better to stay with EE (which I think is unlikely) and he didn't switch he may save £20 within 2 years time.

Included in the plan is data despite the fact the phone has no internet capability.

True £11 isn't so much but I know for him finances are tight and I'm almost sure they could have offered him something to save money if thought he may leave. After mentioning that he could have possibility saved a bit he regrets it but also thinks its done now so nothing can be done.
    I understand he is big enough to make his own decisions but although used to shop around yet now struggles to get around as problems walking so doesn't any more. Had the guy in the store said it would have been 15£ a month, he would have signed up to that as didn't want to be without a phone.

At the end of the day I doubt they will do anything as not under any obligation to.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do Grandfathers get special treatment if they pay to much ??
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I must be in the majority as I agree with the OP. I'd be quite annoyed too.

My mum had absolutely zero idea about things like this. She would have signed up to a contract if she thought that was best to 'save worrying people'.

Say the OP's grandad bought the phone for £40 and went with life mobile for their £5 tariff. That's £160 over two years. The EE contract is £264.

OP said finances are tight and if the OP's grandad is a pensioner then £100 is a hell
    Of a lot of money to waste on a contract you don't need.

I'd call EE and ask to speak on his behalf (he'll have to pass security) or go back to the shop with him and try to cancel. At the end of the day worst case scenario is they say no and he's stuck with the contract but it doesn't hurt to try.

Perhaps it might be better if you sort his phone for him OP. I took out a cheap sim only for my mother (but in my name) and bought her phones outright (she only used basic flip phones). That way she couldn't accidentally sign up to something and had a deal that suited her needs.
    Sigless
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are 'older' people not adults these days?!
    If they have all their faculties, then it's their decision.

For the record, there are alot of very well off 'pensioners'
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rev wrote: »
    I must be in the majority as I agree with the OP. I'd be quite annoyed too.

My mum had absolutely zero idea about things like this. She would have signed up to a contract if she thought that was best to 'save worrying people'.

Say the OP's grandad bought the phone for £40 and went with life mobile for their £5 tariff. That's £160 over two years. The EE contract is £264.

OP said finances are tight and if the OP's grandad is a pensioner then £100 is a hell
    Of a lot of money to waste on a contract you don't need.

I'd call EE and ask to speak on his behalf (he'll have to pass security) or go back to the shop with him and try to cancel. At the end of the day worst case scenario is they say no and he's stuck with the contract but it doesn't hurt to try.

Perhaps it might be better if you sort his phone for him OP. I took out a cheap sim only for my mother (but in my name) and bought her phones outright (she only used basic flip phones). That way she couldn't accidentally sign up to something and had a deal that suited her needs.

So you are advocating a upper age limit to signing contracts to go with the current minimum age limit?

What ages are you thinking are rational enough to be signing contracts then? From 18 to 60? 65? 70? 75?

What age is too old to be allowed to conduct their own business, in your opinion?
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport