PAYG cheapest?

Wig
Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
edited 25 May 2016 at 9:15AM in Mobiles
(Total mobile ignorance here)
I have an old phone, I think you call it 2G? If it was a PC it would be the equivalent of Windows 98.
It is locked to Orange (requires a physical unlock i.e. scratch on the circuitboard but I can't be bothered).
I have another old phone from Motorola (probably locked to Motorola)
But I am willing to buy another cheap phone (£20) to get access to a different network if necessary.

Up until the last 10 months I had a £5 balance on my Orange phone and it would last about 3 - 5 years before I would have to top it up another £5 - £10

Recently have started texting my friend about 10 times per week and occasionally using my phone for calls though I still only call with it once or twice in the last 6 months.

The above ignores when I take my phone to France, in France texts now cost me 1p and calls 4p/min so when I was there, I used the texts more and called a few times..because the cost was so small.

I am paying Orange 14p per text and 14 per minute call

I keep seeing these sim envelopes at the checkout at the supermarket

The last envelope I saw said three3 network something like
"1p per text 2p something else and 3p/min per call"

and I saw an EE one that said £10 for so many texts and mins of calls.

Qu.1
Would an EE sim work in my locked Orange phone?

Qu2
Can you tell me how these envelopes at the checkout work?
How much they cost?
and which one would be best for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    According to Google, the phone would probably need to be unlocked to use an EE sim. Apparently an EE lock is set up the same as a T-Mobile lock and Orange is different.

Your phone would not be able to use 3 even if unlocked, as 3 don't have a 2G network. Delight Mobile offer the same rates though, piggybacking off of EE: https://www.delightmobile.co.uk/national-rates .

Most envelopes at the checkout are not worth buying, as in most cases, you can get a sim from the relevant network for free by ordering from their website.

Whichever network you use, once you have an unlocked phone / a phone that will accept that sim, simply insert the sim, top up and arrange to have your number ported over (if you wish to keep it.)
  • Wig
    edited 25 May 2016 at 9:40AM
    Can anyone show me a phone I could buy that is second hand (or very cheap new) which is not locked.......
    My current phone cost me £5 from Orange, Siemens A62.

This sort of thing I am looking for
    http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_259359.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CLum2sjm9MwCFVIYGwodllwP_g
    but that is in USA I need in UK.
    or
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_96128.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CO3Yo9fo9MwCFRITGwodOTUJ9Q
    Also in USA

.........so I can use delightmobile or three network which has the same tarrifs for PAYG.

Also do either Delight or Three make you lose your balance if not used in 6 months?

Why doesn't everyone switch to delight or three PAYG seeing as their rates are so much lower?

Think mine is 1G.... does three support this?.

What is a quadband GSM phone, does that mean it can handle 1G, 2G, 3G & 4G ?
    Are those USA phones the same as the UK spec i.e. will work here.
  • Kim_13
    edited 25 May 2016 at 3:15PM
    Quadband is something to do with the phone working overseas, but I can't be more specific as I have never used a phone abroad.

Three only support 3G and 4G. There will always be some who are unable to switch due to a lack of coverage in their area, and as Three don't support 2G, they have more no coverage areas than any other network. Then of course there are those who just don't want the hassle of switching, or who are sceptical of doing so.

All Pay as You Go networks terminate the account if it is not used for a period of time, however Three and Delight are among the longest available http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

You could try a sim free phone from Sainsbury's, as these phones do not lock to a network: http://www.phoneshopbysainsburys.co.uk/pay-as-you-go-phones/sim-free/sainsburys-subcat/sim-free-handsets.html?SRC=Menu . Filter price lowest to highest and you'll find a few handsets for around £10.

Cheaper phones are likely to be 2G only, so you're looking at Delight in order to get the cheapest rates. As they piggyback off of EE, if you have to buy a phone that comes with a sim card (i.e. May well lock to that network), you should be fine if you choose one that locks to EE (though as I've never tried it, I can't guarantee.)

It may be worth looking to see if you can find a way to get your current phone unlocked for free: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/unlock-mobile-phone#nonsmartphones
  • Wig
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    All Pay as You Go networks terminate the account if it is not used for a period of time, however Three and Delight are among the longest available

Thankyou for you help.

My Orange balance has never been cancelled, they said in the contract (in year 2000 when I took the 1st phone with them) that the balance would be lost if unused for 6 months (may be longer), I have not used it for more than a year quite often and never lost my balance/contract.
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sainsburys no longer have a mobile service it stopped in January.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wig wrote: »
    Can anyone show me a phone I could buy that is second hand (or very cheap new) which is not locked.......

.........so I can use delightmobile or three network which has the same tarrifs for PAYG.

Also do either Delight or Three make you lose your balance if not used in 6 months?

Why doesn't everyone switch to delight or three PAYG seeing as their rates are so much lower?

Think mine is 1G.... does three support this?.

What is a quadband GSM phone, does that mean it can handle 1G, 2G, 3G & 4G ?
    Are those USA phones the same as the UK spec i.e. will work here.

1G is analog. It's been shut down years ago.

3G will probably go next followed by 2G. Both should shut down in the next 5 years.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Kim_13
    ioscorpio wrote: »
    Sainsburys no longer have a mobile service it stopped in January.

They no longer have a mobile service, but they still sell phones, either on other networks or sim free. The sim free phones are unlocked.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    They no longer have a mobile service, but they still sell phones, either on other networks or sim free. The sim free phones are unlocked.

Agree, I have just bought one [PAYG refurb] from them, and a good thing IMO is that if not wanted then can be returned via any Sainsbury shop, no need for post back hassle

I found the phone call centre very helpful as well when I was querying if sim free meant unlocked [it did]
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thankyou for you help.

My Orange balance has never been cancelled, they said in the contract (in year 2000 when I took the 1st phone with them) that the balance would be lost if unused for 6 months (may be longer), I have not used it for more than a year quite often and never lost my balance/contract.
    Unused SIM cards are cancelled automatically by the networks if not used for a period of time, you would have to check the network T&Cs, but probably 6 months would be typical. You also have usually to either top up the SIM or make a chargeable call.

I have a 3 PAYG SIM in a remote alarm installation (house security alarm) and it's great, at 3p per monthly test call my £10 top up will last 27 years!
  • Riog
    Riog Posts: 57 Forumite

Delight are by all accounts taking all unused credit balances at 3 months even if you used the phone with NO replies via customer services
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure