Referendum: which way are you voting?

Options

Comments

• johnpr98
    johnpr98 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This may have been he article I mentioned?
    http://news.sky.com/story/1717515/will-brexiteers-deliver-on-campaign-pledges
    Which includes this interesting paragraph
    Leavers said Brexit would mean making our own laws but that assumed the UK didn't make its own laws or have independence before, which is not entirely the case.

On Brexit the UK may no longer be subject to rulings of the European Court but it will be subject to the European Court of Human Rights.

The ECHR is the one that really irks Home Secretary Theresa May. The one that stops the UK deporting foreign criminals because of human rights issues.

And that is nothing to do with the EU - the UK is bound because it signed up to the European Convention on Human Rights.

However, with their claims the EU stopped the UK from deporting foreign criminals because of their human rights leave campaigners might find expectations of those who backed them are rather higher than they can deliver.

Time will be the judge, it's far too early to see how things will pan out, however we may have lost a lot and gained nothing in the long run for our youngsters. Sadly we have acquired more open divisions than I've seen for a long, long time.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    johnpr98 wrote: »

Time will be the judge, it's far too early to see how things will pan out, however we may have lost a lot and gained nothing in the long run for our youngsters. Sadly we have acquired more open divisions than I've seen for a long, long time.
    The same youngsters with 40% turnout when average turnout was 72%. Divisions? I think you're being a little dramatic. All I've seen so far is a lot of crying on bakebook and a random petition calling for the result to be quashed.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remain
    Seems to be some very real misunderstanding of what "origin" means on the petition signatories... Basically nothing. It depends on where their connection came from, not where they were. If I had signed it from work, it would probably say Germany, as that's the way the network infrastructure works.
    If I had signed it from home, it could have said just about anywhere, as I route traffic through proxies...
    Not saying there can't have been fraud, but a half-savvy fraudster would at least route through a UK proxy.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    The same youngsters with 40% turnout when average turnout was 72%. Divisions? I think you're being a little dramatic. All I've seen so far is a lot of crying on bakebook and a random petition calling for the result to be quashed.

Well, indeed, boys and girls, if you'd managed to take your ear phones out and get your nose out of those phones for fifteen minutes, you might have been able to influence the most important political decision since 1921. As stated on the back of the album cover ( remember those?) of Steve Earle's copperhead road - "If you don't vote, don't !!!!!." True, dat.

Whatever it is, we're going to have to live with it. In my case, I believe I'll change my euro back to pounds next week and pay for our trip to espana with the proceeds. Viva el capitalismo.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    RikM wrote: »
    Seems to be some very real misunderstanding of what "origin" means on the petition signatories... Basically nothing. It depends on where their connection came from, not where they were. If I had signed it from work, it would probably say Germany, as that's the way the network infrastructure works.
    If I had signed it from home, it could have said just about anywhere, as I route traffic through proxies...
    Not saying there can't have been fraud, but a half-savvy fraudster would at least route through a UK proxy.

I once made a "fat finger" booking on Ryanair where I accidentally identified myself as Andorran. It's dogged me on their website ever since, asking me for the number of my Andorran passport every time. I've never been there.
  • mamabuddah
    mamabuddah Posts: 826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave
    so the uk has been marked down from AAA to AA....thats still better than France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc etc...need I go on...lol
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remain
    mamabuddah wrote: »
    so the uk has been marked down from AAA to AA....thats still better than France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece etc etc...need I go on...lol

:rotfl:

And none of which we're obliged to bail out in the future! :beer:
  • johnpr98
    johnpr98 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    :rotfl:

And none of which we're obliged to bail out in the future! :beer:

:T No change then, as the UK weren't obligated to bail out any of those countries before :beer:
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    From a work background. we know of at least one multinational which is pricing in material rises. They knew it would happen. What does it mean - well guess what, you might not buy those same materials, but you buy the end product. It is basically guaranteed that your spend will increase, for the same thing.

Smaller business perspective - we had earmarked at least 50% of our annual profits for investment and new employment. We have finalised tenders and ready to go for the end of Q2, early Q3. Alas we didn't think this exit would actually happen and the resulting uncertainty means that these plans have been shelved until we know what the hell is going on. Exit proponents have criticised our decision on the grounds that we should "have some faith" but how can a business commit the bulk of its cashflow to non-essential expenditure when we are unable to make a sensible forecast for the rest of the business. I suspect that this scenario will be replicated across an awful lot of business.

Yes - I get it, we are out. Now enough of the smug Brexiteering, the half wits who engineered it need to get their ducks in a row ASAP. Until then, we are paralysed by uncertainty and a recession moves from possible to highly likely. Leave it long enough and likely becomes inevitable. So get it sorted...
    Always overestimating...
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    I will be amazed if we don't get a recession very soon.

We've neither a government nor an opposition, like some banana republic. (What shape are the bananas?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport