Multiple fines from DVLA

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    mark1959 wrote: »
    At worst I reckon a fine, don't know how much but shouldn't be much. There shouldn't be any back payment as that relates to vehicle tax and yours being on the road, which yours wasn't.

But the DVLA didn't know it wasn't on the road as they didn't sorn it, that's entirely down to the OP.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    I think without a SORN they could want the tax back to date of purchase. You may also get a fine if it wasn't insured during this period. However, since they have not caught up with you, I would just submit it now and hope for the best (but insure it first!)

I taxed my wife's car a few years ago - but not my own. When I thought about it - well - I thought, oh yeah I remember doing it, I went to the post office on my day off. Anyway I noticed it was out and tried to tax it. It was 1 full month and about 2 weeks overdue.

I would willingly pay the back tax, it was my mistake. Unfortunately you can only use the standard form or online if there is no gap between last tax expiring and new tax starting.

Any gap between those dates requires you to fill in the details of your SORN, which obviously I and the OP didn't have.

There was an advertising campaign at the time saying they knew every vehicle that was untaxed and not declared SORN and you would get an automatic fine. SORN was fairly new.

You either have to come clean and tell them what you have done, or fill the form in online and make up (copy from the internet somewhere?) a SORN number and hope for the best.

That is not advice, its just that there is no way to just tax it. If there was I'm sure you would.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who did you buy the car from?

If DVLA have not contacted you it looks like they have not been told that the car was sold to you.
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But the DVLA didn't know it wasn't on the road as they didn't sorn it, that's entirely down to the OP.
    They [the dvla] don't know if it was or not, and certainly can't prove it was on the road [because it wasn't] and won't do anything. [probably]
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They [the dvla] don't know if it was or not, and certainly can't prove it was on the road [because it wasn't] and won't do anything. [probably]

Unless exempt, (eg.SORN), a registered vehicle is required to be licensed wherever it is, on a public road or not.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whether it was actually on the road or not is irrelevant. It wasn't declared as SORN - so the assumption is that it was available to be.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Whether it was actually on the road or not is irrelevant. It wasn't declared as SORN - so the assumption is that it was available to be.

Which is what I meant to say but your version is clearer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure