🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Multiple fines from DVLA

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    miracleboy wrote: »
    First of all, I know I broke the rules and so should pay the fine

OK, great.
    but it seems I have been very heavily punished and multiple times for the same thing.

Hmm.
    So basically the whole process for forgetting the tax has cost me;

Back tax £124
    Tax fine £80
    Release fee £100
    Surety £160
    Current tax £124
    DVLA fine £256

This just stinks to me like a bloody racket and nothing short of extortion. And what if I can't afford to pay (which I can't), oh yes, let's fine him some more! :mad:

So which of that lot is "multiple times"?

You've had to pay the tax. That's not a fine or a penalty. It's part of the cost of keeping a car.

You had car on the road when it shouldn't have been, and it got clamped to prevent you using it. You have to pay the fee to get it released.

You had a car that wasn't taxed or SORNed, and got a small fine for that - purely paperwork.

Then you SORNed it, and broke the law regarding SORN - and, for that, there's a fine.

So... of your list...

Tax fine £80 - that's the first offence, failure to re-tax or SORN.

Release fee £100 - that...
    Surety £160 - ...and that are for releasing the clamped car. The surety's been refunded, anyway.

DVLA fine £256 - that's the penalty for having a SORNed car on the road.

Current tax £124 - that...
    Back tax £124 - ...and that are an expense of having a car.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,579 Forumite
    Options
    £124 backdated tax? A bit more than a oops i forgot a few weeks ago?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you don't have enough money to pay for essential repairs to your car then you can't afford to run a car!. The windscreen on my car only cost £140 to replace and that was without going through the insurance which is even cheaper.

As far as the fines go it's one thing to forget to pay the tax. But to leave a SORNed car on a road is really stupid and I think the £100 release fee and £256 fine is pretty low and you got away lightly.

But to complain about having to pay back tax and current tax is ridiculous. If you don't want to pay it then sell the car!.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone else get a nice warm feeling when a car tax dodger starts bleating about how much getting caught cost them :)
  • jods
    Options
    wonder if anyone can help me I bought a car its my first car and have had it parked on my drive since march 2016 I didn't know I had to sorn it, I have been told now that I should have and I have just passed my test and want to tax it I can see I am going to be fined which is fine as its my mistake but will I have to pay all the fines and back payment before I'm allowed to tax it?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2017 at 3:50PM
    Options
    jods wrote: »
    wonder if anyone can help me I bought a car its my first car and have had it parked on my drive since march 2016 I didn't know I had to sorn it, I have been told now that I should have and I have just passed my test and want to tax it I can see I am going to be fined which is fine as its my mistake but will I have to pay all the fines and back payment before I'm allowed to tax it?
    Just tax it and see what comes back. If you hear nothing then you'll be in the clear.

Was it a private sale or trader and do you have the log book (V5)?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    DVLA won't back down, they're very good at extracting money from tax paying citizens, not so good at tracking down people who have no tax or insurance and register cars to fake addresses.

They tracked down the OP who had no tax.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    They tracked down the OP who had no tax.
    The post was from 8 months ago.
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jods wrote: »
    At worst I reckon a fine, don't know how much but shouldn't be much. There shouldn't be any back payment as that relates to vehicle tax and yours being on the road, which yours wasn't.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mark1959 wrote: »
    At worst I reckon a fine, don't know how much but shouldn't be much. There shouldn't be any back payment as that relates to vehicle tax and yours being on the road, which yours wasn't.

I think without a SORN they could want the tax back to date of purchase. You may also get a fine if it wasn't insured during this period. However, since they have not caught up with you, I would just submit it now and hope for the best (but insure it first!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport