🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Stupid question?

Options
Hi all,
I had a 25 year mortgage through Norwich & Peterborough and paid PPI throughout. The PPI was through Norwich Union (later Aviva). Having now decided to raise a claim for PPI, do I write to N&P or Aviva?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

RB

Comments

• Insider101
    Insider101 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    I had a 25 year mortgage through Norwich & Peterborough and paid PPI throughout. The PPI was through Norwich Union (later Aviva). Having now decided to raise a claim for PPI, do I write to N&P or Aviva?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

RB

What do you think has been done wrong, when and by who?

The answer will dictate who you make a complaint to.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

1 - Was it PPI or a different insurance (such as life assurance)?
    2 - Why do you think that is wrong (i.e. what is your reason for complaint)?
    3 - Who sold it to you?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • retreatingblade
    Options
    Sorry for the delay - been away a few days.

At the time of getting the mortgage I was rather given the impression that the PPI through N&P's Safeguard scheme was compulsory and a condition of the mortgage. It rankled with me a little as I was in (and continued to be until retirement) a very well paid job with 12 months on full pay in the event of sickness or incapacity. I felt that would have given me a 'buffer' in the event of a problem.

Thirty years on it appears that PPI was not compulsory and I believe I may have a case for miss-selling.
  • WatchMan
    WatchMan Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for the delay - been away a few days.

At the time of getting the mortgage I was rather given the impression that the PPI through N&P's Safeguard scheme was compulsory and a condition of the mortgage. It rankled with me a little as I was in (and continued to be until retirement) a very well paid job with 12 months on full pay in the event of sickness or incapacity. I felt that would have given me a 'buffer' in the event of a problem.

Thirty years on it appears that PPI was not compulsory and I believe I may have a case for miss-selling.

In that case, your complaint is with whoever sold you the policy - probably Norwich and Peterborough.

Be aware that complaints about policies sold alongside mortgages are less likely to be upheld. It is generally thought having mortgage repayments protected would be important to most people. Even if they had good sick pay - the mortgage protection would still provide cover and maybe for longer than sick pay would last.

Your particular complaint often boils down to a he said/she said situation. Often the paperwork will show that PPI was an option which had to be selected - and demonstrating that you were led to believe otherwise will be difficult.

You should still complain if you feel strongly about all this. But it's good going in knowing what the issues are likely to be and your chances of success.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was rather given the impression that the PPI through N&P's Safeguard scheme was compulsory and a condition of the mortgage
    I'm afraid that simply being given the impression is not the same as being told it was compulsory. In any case, you would need evidence to prove not only that the PPI existed but that you were actually misled about it.
    I was in (and continued to be until retirement) a very well paid job with 12 months on full pay in the event of sickness or incapacity.
    The mere fact that you did not have the "good" fortune to suffer a claimable event does not mean an insurance policy was missold.

There is an interesting point. The policy was supposedly sold in 1986.

That could mean that it predates the existence of the Norwich and Peterborough (which was formed by a merger of the Norwich Building Society and, surprise surprise, the Peterborough Building Society in that year).

It also seems unlikely to have been PPI or even its predecessor, ASU, which was uncommon in the 1980s.

If it did exist, it may indeed have been compulsory as it was not uncommon for lenders to make an insurance product a condition of the loan then.

In addition, FOS would only have jurisdiction if the lender was either a member of an ombudsman scheme at the time or volunteered jurisdiction.

Neither the Norwich, the Peterborough nor the Norwich & Peterborough were members of the Building Societies Ombudsman scheme in 1986 because it only began in 1987.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    ... It also seems unlikely to have been PPI or even its predecessor, ASU, which was uncommon in the 1980s....

I have found this reference to the Norwich Union SafeGuard product dating to 2000 when it was relaunched, and described as an "income protection product" that is a "perfect fit with mortgage payment protection insurance".

What it was like in 1986 I don't know (the internet doesn't go back that far), and you probably know better than me what it all means.

http://www.aviva.co.uk/media-centre/story/780/a-better-income-protection-deal-from-norwich-union/
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, pre 1988, the building societies didnt often have their own in-house product. They would use local agents/IFAs for non-building society stuff (like insurance and investments). These appointments were often held in the branch in their spare office.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport