Help think I've been stupid tax credits

Options
Hi I claim working tax credits, my partner who doesn't live with me has been using my credit card for large purchases as he's building a house, I also do all of his shopping, he then transfers money into my bank, it's been a fair few thousand, I'm now worried this will come up as income and it's made me feel quite sick!

It's not income it's money he owes me, do I need to be worried? :eek:

Comments

• Alice_Walker
    Alice_Walker Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    Presumably he can demonstrate that he is living at another address?

Why do you do all his shopping. That does sound rather odd for people not living together.
  • Bartown22
    Bartown22 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes easily, I'm just worried about the cash going in and out of my bank, to the credit card companies, I guess I can get copies of most of the big purchases involved, I'm just a whittler, I also buy stuff for my parents on the Internet, and they give me cash, not something I've been concerned about until now!
  • Bartown22
    Options
    And I do his shopping as he has a medical condition, and I'm kind :D
  • superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had to have a chuckle sorry.
    Medical condition meaning he cant do the shopping but can build a house !
    allergic to Tesco :beer:
  • Bartown22
    Options
    Yes there is an allergy involved I'm sure!
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm presuming that you can prove income through P60's etc. This is the info HMRC will have on file to assess your Income Tax calculation (& hence WTC's).

Do you have a Single or Joint Claim?

If it is a single claim then this Decision Makers Guide may give you some indication as to DWP / HMRC conisderations when coming to a decision that claimants should be assesed as living together as man and wife:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/474014/dmgch11.pdf

Para 11101 onwards.

HMRC also seem to place reliance on whether there is a linking financial footprint at one address - these would include bank accounts, credit arrangements etc.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Bartown22
    Options
    Yes I've always been honest, have all p60's, and I'm not worried about them thinking we live together we don't, we are financially independent of each other, and he's never even stopped here, he's borrowed my credit card, and I've got him shopping for which I'm reimbursed.

I've calmed down about it now, I panic, I shouldn't, I've done nothing wrong.
  • Bartown22
    Options
    And it's a single claim, he doesn't claim anything
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can kind of understand the shopping for him and him paying you back, but why would he use your credit card for big purchases? He's not 'borrowing' your credit card, he is using it, and that doesn't make you financially independent.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Omg this is not trolling ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts