Guide discussion: Backpacker insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently booked a 3 month trip which has cost over £10,000. However all the travel insurance providers seem to only cover cancellation up to £5,000, with occasional extra to go up to £10,000. Can anyone suggest anyone who will cover for a more expensive trip?

How does this relate to the article under discussion?
  • AnnaRedman
    Options
    Hi, I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place but I’m a bit lost on this site... I need backpackers insurance as I’m travelling around Australia on a years working holiday visa. I have no idea when I’ll be returning as I may come home early or extend my visa - because of this reason I haven’t booked a return flight. Every website I’ve looked on for backpackers insurance needs a return date/flight, does anyone know what I can do?
  • Captainnajork
    Options
    I'm looking for a solution to the following situation.
    My daughter has been away backpacking South East Asia but has returned to the UK before heading back off to Vietnam. After that she'll go wherever but already has an Australian working Visa arranged.
    The Holidaysafe Back Packer insurance she had for the previous stint has expired automatically as she will be home in the UK longer than 21 days ( 35 days) and their Underwriter is considering waiving that requirement. If they refuse then Holidaysafe will not sell her a new one as she has not been in the UK long enough in the past year. There hasn't been any claims. When I look at other web sites eg Travel Insurance Direct they will not cover Medical repatriation unless she already has a return ticket to the UK. These restrictions seem to be at odds with the spirit of Backpacking. Does anyone know of a Backpacker policy where you do not need to be in the UK in the last year and that do not require a pre booked return ticket to cover Medical repatriation expenses ?
  • Chamberhousenick
    Options
    The biggest problem with backpacker insurance is the exclusions - which are often not clear. E.g.

Not covering you if you return to the UK mid trip - many (included those listed as best buys by MSE) will just cancel the policy if you visit the UK at all, even for emergencies.
    Requiring you to have proof of your intended return to the UK - so if you don't have a return flight booked they are not interested.

Has anyone come across companies that don't have these restrictions?
  • flyingkiwi
    flyingkiwi Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The biggest problem with backpacker insurance is the exclusions - which are often not clear. E.g.

Not covering you if you return to the UK mid trip - many (included those listed as best buys by MSE) will just cancel the policy if you visit the UK at all, even for emergencies.
    Requiring you to have proof of your intended return to the UK - so if you don't have a return flight booked they are not interested.

Has anyone come across companies that don't have these restrictions?

World Nomads allows you to return home mid trip. You can also purchase insurance after your trip has already started (though there is a delay of 2-3 days I believe).
    April 2017 wins: Jawbreaker singlet £20,
    May 2017 wins: Joe Brown cardigan £35
  • Enceladus
    Enceladus Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter graduated last year and wants to go to Australia for a year. She's been granted an Australian class 417 working holiday visa, has a job lined up and a ticket to Sydney. Return is not yet booked. Return flights weren't open at the time of booking.

So we're looking at travel insurance. The Allianz Best Buy on this site aimed at under 35s seems to be OK.

However I can't determine whether trips back to the UK are allowed? None are intended within the 12 months.
    Or whether the return travel will be covered as it won't be booked at policy inception. And it quite likely won't be from Sydney
    Or even if the policy is void because there is no return flight.

Any ideas?
  • sazaccount
    Options
    I have alpha long term/backpacker insurance for 23 months covering world wide (this time as I'm on a working holiday in Canada) and it allows I think 2 visits back to the UK but only upto 2 weeks at a time. Going though quidco also got cash back (6 months later) This is my second set of insurance with Alpha and no issues so far (but I've not had to claim).

You dont have to have a return flight but have the "intention of returning" at some point and this is as the visa states a working holiday not emigrating.

Make sure your daughter registers with medicare when she arrives into Australia so she is entailed free emergency care and doctors if they bulk bill. Australia like new zealand has reciprocal heath with the UK
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • PeteBerryman
    Options
    My son is in Australia and about to return via Thailand. He had insurance in Oz, but needs a new policy for three weeks to cover Thailand. However, most policies seem to require the trip to originate from the UK. Any ideas on options? He's a UK resident and has only been out of the UK for two months, as he had to return home mid-trip for a funeral.
  • IanHutch57
    Options
    W8e said:
    Please let all potential users beware that I have recently experienced a complete lack of response from one of MSEs 'Best Buy' backpacker insurance providers. These are Travel Insurance Agencies ltd trading as travelinsurancedirect. I have sent several emails and made several phone calls all unanswered. I do not think I could trust this company to respond to any claim. MSE should urgently review their recommendation.
    I second this - been trying to contact them for days - not sure if they are a scam or incompetent - MSE should review this as a Best buy. I'm about to report them to the FCA (if you can do such a thing)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure