Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for drinks I didn't ask for?

Options
124»

Comments

• cheesetoast
    cheesetoast Posts: 258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "No mate, we weren't doing rounds..."
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    It sounds like they weren't asked, just given them.

Yes - I know they weren't asked if they wanted a drink or not but at the time the drinks were put down in front of them the person involved should have said something and made sure it was being bought for them first before drinking it, something I have done in the past when I've had a drink bought for me in a round when the rest of us were buying our own drinks. The person who'd bought the round did expect us to pay as they got them all for us to save us from having to go to the bar and queue up one at a time as it was busy - we all needed a drink at that time! Of course I paid, I was glad they'd done it but they did buy me what I was drinking and not something different and more expensive - but I would have asked first about a cocktail and not just drunk it! The person involved here must have known the cocktail cost a lot of money, so to drink not just one but two is really greedy and wrong IMO.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jilbav47 wrote: »
    A definite NO, he bought them without asking, a true friend would not do this.

Then I have very few friends lol! Difference is none of my friends go 'you owe me £30'. They just expect me to buy a round or get them a drink some time else. But they don't get annoyed if I don't buy them a round!
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another make believe non-dilemma.

No.
  • Illuminance
    Options
    Be a good friend and help them learn that you should not be spending other peoples money without checking first. I would say it is better they learn from you rather than someone who is not a friend. I would not pay them back and I would point out the reason why and hope they can learn from it.

If you are worried about hurting their feelings, spend less and give them a bottle of wine or something else they would like. You could always take them to TGI Fridays where a goldfish bowl size cocktail is less than a tenner and they do good food as well. Just be clear about the split of the bill before you sit down!
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So some idiot gets so drunk they decide to start buying people massively overpriced drinks then wakes up next morning thinking 'I spent how much?????!!!!". Then has the cheek to try to recover some of it by claiming you were in rounds?

You have a choice:

1. Say no and fall out with them.
    2. Pay but quietly fall out with them by refusing to go drinking with them ever again when they ask by making an excuse as you don't know how much their actions will cost you in future.

Tip for anyone who does go out and start buying stupid drinks when drunk:
    Leave the cards at home, only take slightly more in cash with you than you intended to spend when you were looking towards the night sober. If a taxi/public transport journey back then have a basic current account card (no-overdraft) and leave £20 in.

Even better, don't get into a state where buying a £15 drink sounds a good idea.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What were you drinking befoer he bought this round?
    What I'd probably do is to give him whatever I'd have spent if I'd carried on buying my own drinks - so if I was drinking tapwater it would be nothing, if I was drinking pints at £3 I'd give him £6 and so on.

And I would be saying to him "You treated us, if you planned to ask us to pay you should have asked us before you ordered, and we could have decided whether we wante dto spend £15 a pop on cocktails."

In my experience, where someone is doing a nice thing by going up to the bar ro save eveyone having to queue then they check first who wants what. Unless you were already driniking the £15 cocktails then I don't think you need to pay him back. If you were drinking them so he effectively acted as your waiter then it is a little diferent.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Li0nhead wrote: »
    So some idiot gets so drunk they decide to start buying people massively overpriced drinks then wakes up next morning thinking 'I spent how much?????!!!!". Then has the cheek to try to recover some of it by claiming you were in rounds?

These moral dilemmas are just made up.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Should have stopped him with the first one and made it clear people were not getting "rounds".
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Stop socializing with the money saving expert Money Moral Dilemma team they will do your head in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure