PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared ownership resale

Options
Hi,

I am buying flat through shared ownership scheme on the resale market.
The agent had applied shared ownership mortgage calculator. That calculator limits my affordability.

So in reality my affordability is higher on the open market even including rent on the share and other charges.
The shared ownership affordability calculator used by broker shows that my affordability is a lot lower.

I have done some research and found guidance policy document published on Nov 2015 by Government Cabinet Office, Homes and Communities Agency for Shared ownership, it states:

'Re-sales

The shared ownership calculator is not designed to work in line with re-sales; this is due to the rental calculation and also due to the fixed shares connected to re-sales. We do not wish to cause any barriers to existing shared owners selling their homes.

Back to back sales and staircasing can be done to encourage maximising affordability and increasing RCGF receipts, however it is not a necessity.

Applicants purchasing shared ownership through re-sales should fit the broad eligibility criteria and should also be able to sustain the share they need to purchase. Eligibility is required if purchasing a share in the property, if through the re-sales process the new buyers are purchasing 100% of the title applicants do not need to fit the HCA’s general eligibility criteria. '

So as it says above mortgage broker does not need to use this calculator for resale properties , which is what I am buying.

Does anybody has experience with that?

Is it true that they do not need to use shared ownership affordability calculator for resale properties?

Thanks

Comments

• yllop1101
    yllop1101 Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think that's what it is saying, although what it IS saying isn't exactly clear either. We're just buying a shared ownership resale, but it's still all dine through the housing association and even though we're buying 100% (simultaneous staircasing) they are still doing affordability checks. It's all very confusing.

Have you checked what your affordability percentage is? You could improve your affordability by asking them to look at a 30 year mortgage term, for example. Also, if you will be living with a second person, the document that you cited says 1/3 of their income can be counted towards affordability too.

Bear in mind, that document is only government guideline, housing associations can choose within those what they follow and what they don't. E. G. My HA don't following the 2nd applicant recommendation, but tighten the affordability to between 30-40% rather than the recommended 25-45%.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You DO NOT use the newbuild SO calculator for resales as the instructions say. Affordability has to be manually calculated.

I also use the Nov 15 HCA Guidelines (page 5) as we are active in the shared ownership sector, newbuild and resale.
    The shared ownership calculator is not designed to work in line with re-sales; this is due to the rental calculation and also due to the fixed shares connected to re-sales. We do not wish to cause any barriers to existing shared owners selling their homes.

HAs cannot make up their own rules. The applicant is vetted by the area HTB Agent in conjunction with HCA rules and it is their determination which holds. The HTB Agent would over-rule the HA if necessary.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ale2007
    ale2007 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    kingstreet whaen you say HTB Agent, do you mean my mortgage broker?

It was my mortgage broker that applied the shared ownership calculator. I have sent them Nov 15 HCA Guidelines and now waiting for the response.
    He said that he forwarded my query to HA and is waiting for his response.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Not to speak for kingstreet, but Help to Buy agents are regional organisations who assess whether you're suitable for local shared ownership housing. My local agent is Help to Buy South, for example.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tiger eyes is correct.

HTB Agents have Government contracts to manage the social/affordable housing budget and run HTB Equity Loan and shared ownership schemes.

They decide if you re eligible for SO, not the HA.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ale2007
    Options
    The agent said that he contacted HA and will take instructions from them.
    How can I found out who is my HTB Agent and contact them?
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
  • ale2007
    Options
    My housing association has contacted me.

After speaking to HA, I am enforced to say that both my mortgage broker and estate agent are idiots and do not know how to do their job.
    They also do not know how read policy documents written in english, despite english being their native language.

HA has said that there is no restriction on me buying more shares and no need to use shared ownership calculator for re-sale.

Thank you for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport