Warranty replacement - how long?

I've returned an item for a warranty replacement - the company agreed that the item is faulty and they will replace.

However, i have had no communication for nearly 3 weeks. I chased up a couple of days ago and found out that there is no stock hence they have not yet replaced...

What are my rights here? Can i request a refund?

I note that the law seems to state "The repair or replacement must be done within a reasonable time" but there is no mention of what a reasonable time is...

Thanks

Comments

• vaderag wrote: »
    I note that the law seems to state "The repair or replacement must be done within a reasonable time" but there is no mention of what a reasonable time is.

The reasonable time clause in the Sale of goods act & Consumer rights act wouldn't apply in this case.
    This is because those acts cover your legal rights with the retailer of purchased goods.

A warranty is not a legal requirement so a retailer or manufacturer is free to have terms in that warranty that may be illegal if you were attempting to enforce legal rights so any time for a replacement depends on the terms of the warranty in question.
  • Chucky1234
    Chucky1234 Posts: 250 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What does it say in your warranty with regards on replacement times?

What does it say if they can't provide a replacement?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The reasonable time clause in the Sale of goods act & Consumer rights act wouldn't apply in this case.
    This is because those acts cover your legal rights with the retailer of purchased goods.

A warranty is not a legal requirement so a retailer or manufacturer is free to have terms in that warranty that may be illegal if you were attempting to enforce legal rights so any time for a replacement depends on the terms of the warranty in question.

Although (especially within the first 6 months from purchase) it would be wrong of them to use any warranty that could be used to restrict or remove a consumers statutory rights.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure