Warranty replacement - how long?

Options
I've returned an item for a warranty replacement - the company agreed that the item is faulty and they will replace.

However, i have had no communication for nearly 3 weeks. I chased up a couple of days ago and found out that there is no stock hence they have not yet replaced...

What are my rights here? Can i request a refund?

I note that the law seems to state "The repair or replacement must be done within a reasonable time" but there is no mention of what a reasonable time is...

Thanks

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    vaderag wrote: »
    I note that the law seems to state "The repair or replacement must be done within a reasonable time" but there is no mention of what a reasonable time is.

The reasonable time clause in the Sale of goods act & Consumer rights act wouldn't apply in this case.
    This is because those acts cover your legal rights with the retailer of purchased goods.

A warranty is not a legal requirement so a retailer or manufacturer is free to have terms in that warranty that may be illegal if you were attempting to enforce legal rights so any time for a replacement depends on the terms of the warranty in question.
  • Chucky1234
    Chucky1234 Posts: 250 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does it say in your warranty with regards on replacement times?

What does it say if they can't provide a replacement?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The reasonable time clause in the Sale of goods act & Consumer rights act wouldn't apply in this case.
    This is because those acts cover your legal rights with the retailer of purchased goods.

A warranty is not a legal requirement so a retailer or manufacturer is free to have terms in that warranty that may be illegal if you were attempting to enforce legal rights so any time for a replacement depends on the terms of the warranty in question.

Although (especially within the first 6 months from purchase) it would be wrong of them to use any warranty that could be used to restrict or remove a consumers statutory rights.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure