Wills /Rant

So we had a date to go and write down a will as we're 55 & 57 and never got around to it.

So she say's what if the three of use die together (our son is an only child) what would happen our estate?

So I say 50% to my only brother and 50% to her family. Both my parents have passed away. She has her Mother, two sisters & one brother.

Well she flipped :mad:, as she see's no reason to leave my brother 50% as reckons he wouldn't leave me anything in his will. WFT

Never got around to discussing if one of us survives the other.

Time to ditch the b**ch I think.

RANT over

Comments

• Oh dear...

Does she not like your brother, there seems a lot of negativity towards him.

However a 50:50 split is more than reasonable, especially as I'm sure your marriage is equal in every way.

If she's adamant about not leaving it to your brother, there is always the local cats and dogs home.

On a serious note, on the demise of the 4 of us at the same time, we've ignored both sets of parents. As my hubby isn't too keen on my niece and nephew (he doesn't have any), we came to the joint decision that our wills leave property (farm etc) to someone in his extended family as they are the farmers and the money to my niece and nephew, as its mostly mine... so not what you would call a totally 50:50 split but mutually discussed, argued and ranted at until we got an agreement.

We found it difficult to get over the fact that we would be leaving it to someone we'd never envisaged, and how worthy they'd be to get it... so I can kind of see were your wife is coming from. After all if the most important person in your life (son) isn't getting it, you then want a worthy candidate. But please keep in mind, that you hopefully won't all go together and your son will benefit as intended... don't lose sleep on who potentially may in the unlikely demise of the 3 of you together.

hth

TB
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you are / were thinking of DIYing a will, just remember that sentences should not start with a pointless and annoying so.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NarkT_Ov wrote: »
    So she say's what if the three of use die together (our son is an only child) what would happen our estate?

There should be a clause to say that it is inherited in equal shares by any offspring your son might have at the time of this family disaster.

So I say 50% to my only brother and 50% to her family. Both my parents have passed away. She has her Mother, two sisters & one brother.

Well she flipped :mad:, as she see's no reason to leave my brother 50% as reckons he wouldn't leave me anything in his will.

We have the same "total disaster" clause - 50% gets divided between my nephews and nieces and 50% between my husband's. I don't suppose any of them plan to leave us any money!
  • NarkT_Ov
    NarkT_Ov Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2016 at 9:50PM

especially as I'm sure your marriage is equal in every way.

Does she not like your brother, there seems a lot of negativity towards him.

We're not married. Been together under same roof since 1988

She thought my Mother favoured him when she was alive. She reckoned he got more than I did in one way or another from her in monetary terms or other help. I can't say whether he did or not as I never looked into things like she seems to have done and I don't care any way as what's the point in worrying about stuff like that. We've had plenty of income to live on and never gone short.

So I said I'll have my own will written saying she gets 50% & he gets 50%. Well she went ape saying lets separate and end our time together.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    We have the same "total disaster" clause - 50% gets divided between my nephews and nieces and 50% between my husband's. I don't suppose any of them plan to leave us any money!

We haven't discriminated between our nieces and nephews like this. We think of them all the same, regardless of which one of us they have a genetic connection to. So our disaster clause has our estate equally divided between them.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well she went ape saying lets separate and end our time together.

It sounds as though you have a more serious problem on your hands than who-gets-what-percentage.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker

RANT over

Bear in mind that unless you put a clause with a number of days for people inheriting to survive you by then if you all died in the same disaster then it will be assumed that your son outlived you so it may all ultimately depend upon the terms of his Will.

Why don't you make your Will as you wish in private and let her make hers according to her wishes?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    So we had a date to go and write down a will as we're 55 & 57 and never got around to it.

Well she flipped :mad:, as she see's no reason to leave my brother 50% as reckons he wouldn't leave me anything in his will. WFT

Never got around to discussing if one of us survives the other.

Time to ditch the b**ch I think.

RANT over

Maybe this would be more appropriate on the Praise, Vent & Warnings board as the OP doesn't appear to be asking for advice. ;)
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Our disaster clause is estate split between 4 friends who could do with money. Family don't need it. At least if disaster happened the friends will get a nice surprise
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Our disaster clause is estate split between 4 friends who could do with money. Family don't need it. At least if disaster happened the friends will get a nice surprise
    Unlike the family - unless they are aware of the terms of your wills. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure