Can the Work Programme mandate me to..

Options
I am on JSA currently and the Work Programme have asked several times for my Universal Jobmatch login information. They also wanted me to login to my email on their computers and complained when I been unable to do so (I don't remember my email login information). The reason I don't remember my email login info is I am using a very long password (and password manager) so I don't actually ever need to type my password. For my own security I've never use public computers but my smartphone instead.

Can the Work programme mandate (with threat of sanction) if I don't provide them with my UJM-login information? Can they also mandate me to login to my email on their computers?

Other than this I manage to do job search just fine on their computers.

Comments

• Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    No they can't sanction you for not providing your ujm login or email login. Absolutely not.

This smells of a scam by the work programme. This is simply a 'phishing' exercise. I'd be very cautious about this.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Diary wrote: »
    No they can't sanction you for not providing your ujm login or email login. Absolutely not.

This smells of a scam by the work programme. This is simply a 'phishing' exercise. I'd be very cautious about this.
    Same with JobCentres, they can't insist on knowing the login information either but that doesn't stop some staff from attempting to make out they can.
  • ab1982
    ab1982 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Diary wrote: »

What would the scam be?

OP - have they actually asked to supply them with your password or just requested that you login to the accounts in their presence?
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    John86 wrote: »
    I am on JSA currently and the Work Programme have asked several times for my Universal Jobmatch login information. They also wanted me to login to my email on their computers and complained when I been unable to do so (I don't remember my email login information). The reason I don't remember my email login info is I am using a very long password (and password manager) so I don't actually ever need to type my password. For my own security I've never use public computers but my smartphone instead.

Can the Work programme mandate (with threat of sanction) if I don't provide them with my UJM-login information? Can they also mandate me to login to my email on their computers?

Other than this I manage to do job search just fine on their computers.

If they are adamant that you show them your job search, Login and print every single thing out using their computers and printers. They cant force you to share login details.
  • John86
    John86 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    ab1982 wrote: »
    What would the scam be?

OP - have they actually asked to supply them with your password or just requested that you login to the accounts in their presence?

They have asked for my UJM login information so they can check up on my job search.

Another Work Programme staff member wants me at times to login to my email, so they either can look at job search emails or write an email. I have offered them to print any proof at home and then show them, also offered them to look at my phone as that feels a bit safer than using their equipment. But no they wanted me to use their computer and they said if I don't have my email account ready next time they want to I will be in trouble with the Jobcentre.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tell them that if they insist on threatening you then you will have no option other than to involve your MP and notify the newspapers, what they are asking seems unreasonable.
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand. If you are JSA why do you have a Universal Jobmatch account. I thought Universal Jobmatch was for people on Universal Credit?
  • samsmoot
    samsmoot Posts: 736 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2016 at 10:38AM
    Options
    John86 wrote: »
    They have asked for my UJM login information so they can check up on my job search.

Another Work Programme staff member wants me at times to login to my email, so they either can look at job search emails or write an email. I have offered them to print any proof at home and then show them, also offered them to look at my phone as that feels a bit safer than using their equipment. But no they wanted me to use their computer and they said if I don't have my email account ready next time they want to I will be in trouble with the Jobcentre.

You must show evidence of jobs applied for. The law requires you to apply for a minimum of three jobs in a job seeking week. The evidence can be supplied verbally or in writing, and this can consist of your 'uncorroborated evidence' - i.e. whatever you tell them. If there is any doubt on your claim then the advisor may wish to see 'better' evidence. This could be, for example, taking a look at your smartphone, printouts of screen captures of applied for jobs or copies of email responses from employers. You cannot be made to log in to UJM or your email account at the Job Centre.

The correct way to approach this issue, from both sides of the counter, should be, 'Is JCP access to the Jobseeker's UJM account going to benefit the Claimant?'.

If this question is asked of an advisor it is very unlikely that they will be able to provide any good reason why access would benefit the Claimant. If they do happen to come up with something that sounds entirely reasonable and helpful, then the Claimant can take some time to consider it or may not be able to log in immediately due to not having that info on them or they can promise to bring it next time. Then they can consider the next step.

It may be the case that you have applied for no jobs through UJM - so they won't be recorded on there - and why would you bother doing it twice? Even if you did apply for jobs on UJM, not all jobs are recorded when applied for because many Apply buttons take you to external sites.

You may have agreed to log onto UJM every day or whatever - and they may tell you they need to check if you have done so, but they can't check this, as UJM doesn't record the dates and times of your sessions.

They may wish to show you how to use UJM better, but they can do that without you needing to log in - you could always supply your exact search criteria if they think it might need adjusting so as to get better results for you.

So there are numerous reasons for why you may not want to allow JCP access to your UJM account. If you don't want to allow them access you can be quite blunt and just say no, or you can make a pretence of perhaps maybe being compliant at some point in the future. As long as you are actually looking for work, applying for jobs, and doing all you can to find work and/or increase your prospects of finding a job then there will be no good reason to send your claim to a Decision Maker due to any failures on your part leading to a doubt on your entitlement.

Not allowing access to your UJM account, on its own, could never (IMO!) be a sanctionable offence.

[Edit: JCP = WP law-wise so the above also applies to WP]
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    MCGONIS wrote: »
    I don't understand. If you are JSA why do you have a Universal Jobmatch account. I thought Universal Jobmatch was for people on Universal Credit?

No it came before universal credit and is mandatory for all on jsa.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • ab1982
    ab1982 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds to me like they are just looking for evidence of your job searches. As long as they dont specifically ask for your password then whats the problem?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure