Forum Home» Motoring

Motor Legal Protection

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Motor Legal Protection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
6 replies 2.3K views
frequencydomainfrequencydomain Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Our household has three cars, each with a separate motor insurance policy.
Each policy has Motor Legal Protection Insurance included as an optional extra.

So, the question is... do I need Motor Legal Protection Insurance on all three policies or can I make do with having it on just one? (i.e. does it cover the driver or is it attached to the vehicle?)

(N.B. - Whether I really need it or it has value in the first place is an entirely different question - not the one being asked here.)

Opinions?

Replies

• OnanTheBarbarianOnanTheBarbarian Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It is usually just the standalone providers that cover the member regardless of number of vehicles.

Most of the products sold by insurers. brokers & price comparison sites only extend to cover incidents involving the use of the vehicle covered under the motor insurance policy they have sold you. So you end up buying the product 2-3 times over. Nice result for the insurers!
  • Nobbie1967Nobbie1967 Forumite
    954 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe cancel all three and find a standalone policy not linked to a single car?
  • vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. 3 cars and 3 possible lots of legal cover for £29.99 each.

I bought a 2 year policy from Mems:

http://www.memonline.co.uk/legal.html

£23.99 for up to 4 vehicles. :money:

Note: 4th vehicle is pending...
    The man without a signature.
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K posts
    If you join the CSMA for £25, you get it included with the membership.
    This motor legal expenses insurance is included within your CSMA Club membership for incidents which happen while you’re a member of CSMA Club. It covers you and your spouse/partner who lives with you, for any motor vehicle that you or your spouse/partner are insured to drive and will complement any motor insurance policy.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
  • King_NothingKing_Nothing Forumite
    854 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have mine provided through my union membership, are you in any union?
  • Standalone is definitely the way to go: I did see that Memonline one, but I got it for slightly cheaper again with Best Price FS - www.bestpricefs.co.uk/motor-legal-protection.

£9.75 for a year and policy wording doesn't seem to have any limit on the number of vehicles, which is good because I drive my wife's car as well as mine and do have a motorbike too. Does the Memonline one do just cars or different vehicles too?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support