Motor Legal Protection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
6 replies 2.4K views
frequencydomainfrequencydomain Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Our household has three cars, each with a separate motor insurance policy.
Each policy has Motor Legal Protection Insurance included as an optional extra.

So, the question is... do I need Motor Legal Protection Insurance on all three policies or can I make do with having it on just one? (i.e. does it cover the driver or is it attached to the vehicle?)

(N.B. - Whether I really need it or it has value in the first place is an entirely different question - not the one being asked here.)



  • OnanTheBarbarianOnanTheBarbarian Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    It is usually just the standalone providers that cover the member regardless of number of vehicles.

    Most of the products sold by insurers. brokers & price comparison sites only extend to cover incidents involving the use of the vehicle covered under the motor insurance policy they have sold you. So you end up buying the product 2-3 times over. Nice result for the insurers!
  • Nobbie1967Nobbie1967 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Maybe cancel all three and find a standalone policy not linked to a single car?
  • vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm in the same boat. 3 cars and 3 possible lots of legal cover for £29.99 each.

    I bought a 2 year policy from Mems:

    £23.99 for up to 4 vehicles. :money:

    Note: 4th vehicle is pending...
    The man without a signature.
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you join the CSMA for £25, you get it included with the membership.
    This motor legal expenses insurance is included within your CSMA Club membership for incidents which happen while you’re a member of CSMA Club. It covers you and your spouse/partner who lives with you, for any motor vehicle that you or your spouse/partner are insured to drive and will complement any motor insurance policy.
  • King_NothingKing_Nothing Forumite
    854 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    I have mine provided through my union membership, are you in any union?
  • hwills77hwills77 Forumite
    14 Posts
    Standalone is definitely the way to go: I did see that Memonline one, but I got it for slightly cheaper again with Best Price FS -

    £9.75 for a year and policy wording doesn't seem to have any limit on the number of vehicles, which is good because I drive my wife's car as well as mine and do have a motorbike too. Does the Memonline one do just cars or different vehicles too?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides