Wireless Routers Advice Please

Options
My brother has given my son a PC which we have put in his bedroom upstairs. Its wireless compatable but out other PC (linked up to broadband via a wire) is in the kitchen downstairs. I have been advise that I can get a wireless router so that my son can use the internet upstairs and that it would cost about £20. When I went to PC World they told me that a cheapish one won't be any use as it won'n be powerful enough to go upstairs. He then advised me to but a netgear one for £90. I don't really understand all this specification stuff. All I want is a cheap wireless router so my son can use the internet. Does anyone have any advice for me on which I should choose or where I should get it from? (Please keep answers simple as I'm a bit dumb when it comes to computers......lol)
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• knowledgeman
    Options
    squelchy69 wrote: »
    My brother has given my son a PC which we have put in his bedroom upstairs. Its wireless compatable but out other PC (linked up to broadband via a wire) is in the kitchen downstairs. I have been advise that I can get a wireless router so that my son can use the internet upstairs and that it would cost about £20. When I went to PC World they told me that a cheapish one won't be any use as it won'n be powerful enough to go upstairs. He then advised me to but a netgear one for £90. I don't really understand all this specification stuff. All I want is a cheap wireless router so my son can use the internet. Does anyone have any advice for me on which I should choose or where I should get it from? (Please keep answers simple as I'm a bit dumb when it comes to computers......lol)
    Thanks in advance.

Even a cheap one should have that sort of range, the main problem is they are extremely sensitive to cross over and cutting out, especially at peak times.

If you want your son to have continous high speed unbroken access you should be looking at a premium model such as netgear, however £90 does seem dear

You can pick up reconditioned warranty covered netgear extended range models on ebay for £30 to £40 which would be my suggestion

Make sure your modem is upto date enough to be connected to a router (ethernet cable normally) otherwise you will need a modem router which will add another £20

As for the PC world advice, whilst technically correct they are certainly selling you an expensive model
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a Netgear DG834G modem/router but for goodness sake do not buy one from PC world when you can get a brand new one for £44 including delivery here from Amazon
  • squelchy69
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I don't mind paying around £40 so a netgear one looks my best bet. I'm not sure about the modem being up to date though. How will I know? The PC is quite old, probably about 5 years now.
    Thanks again.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Netgear DG834G comes with its own modem, you will not need your existing modem, just make sure your PC has an ethernet card fitted, you should have a socket on the back of your PC that is shaped like the one shown >>here<<.

I am assuming you connect to the internet using your telephone line, if you are on a cable connection then you will need a different type of router.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure