How to find out if you have got Tiscali accelerator on dial up?

Options
While searching for info on dial up for 2 friends,i read that if you are with tiscali dial up,they have a free accelerator. One comment said they dont tell you about it when you subscribe. How could I check if he has the accelerator or not,and if not how to download it?

Comments

• JayTee99_2
    Options
    Presumably it is to help download speeds, so here's one way to check if it's working

Download a test file, such as this one

http://www.f2s.net/test8.zip

The file is 8MB in size, a bit big for dialup, so just let it go for about 1 minute or so, until it stabilises, then cancel.
    It's just a test file for downloading, doesn't do anything.

You would get around 5 KB/sec with most dialup connections
    What do you get?

no idea how to get it from Tiscali though.
  • mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    the download accelerator will not increase the speed of downloads - it will only appear to make webpages load faster - it does this by compressing the images (making them smaller) - so the quality of the websites images taht you view decreases ... the more compression you select, the faster the connection, but the quality of the images will go down a lot
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks-Think i read somewhere that you cannot download attachments on emails when you use an accelerator-also going to ask the first person (without tiscali) to try to switch off images and videos themselves to see if this speeds things up a bit.
    not sure what speed they both got now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport