We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nokia 5146/5110 'Not Charging' error message

Options
Hi,

I have a Nokia 5146 (5110 variant for the 1800mHz Orange/EE network) which beeps and brings up a 'Not Charging' error message whenever I plug it in. I have tried a different charger to no avail. The battery does charge up by a small amount when it is plugged in but it stops charging when the message comes up. Could the battery be the problem? It is (as far as I know) still running on the 1990s original battery which does still hold a charge.

Thanks,
Kitchen

Comments

• sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i still got a few. there are a few varients of charger and using the wrwong one will get that error. i think you are using a charger from a 6210/6310. and not one for the 61x/51x range. the charger is a rounded edge square one.
  • kitchen10
    Options
    Thanks. I'm using a Nokia ACP-12X charger from my 6230i. Would buying an ACP-7X solve this problem?
  • sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if thats what the code is(not at home to check) then yes. the 51/61 would only charge off the one type of charger. the 62/63 would charge off their own and the older type too.
  • kitchen10
    Options
    Thanks, if possible could you check if the ACP-7X is indeed the charger that I require? :cheesy:
  • martin2345uk
    Options
    Still using a 5110!! Respect. I adored that phone when I had one!!
  • kitchen10
    Options
    Still using a 5110!! Respect. I adored that phone when I had one!!
    Alongside my Sony Xperia Z3 and SmartWatch 3!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kitchen10 wrote: »
    Thanks, if possible could you check if the ACP-7X is indeed the charger that I require? :cheesy:

It's been a loooong time since I worked on a 5110, but a distant memory is that they had a protection IC built into the charging circuit that if it blows also gives that message. It needs a new IC soldered onto the board to rectify, so far from cost effective (if still even possible) these days if that is the fault.
    ====
  • kitchen10
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    It's been a loooong time since I worked on a 5110, but a distant memory is that they had a protection IC built into the charging circuit that if it blows also gives that message. It needs a new IC soldered onto the board to rectify, so far from cost effective (if still even possible) these days if that is the fault.
    This is somewhat worrying! What do you recommend I do?
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    kitchen10 wrote: »
    What do you recommend I do?
    I recall experiencing this problem myself (when not using the right Nokia charger).

Therefore I would still try getting hold of the correct charger (ACP-7X) if you can get one cheaply.

Scrounger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family