🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Drifting in a Sea of Debt

Options

Comments

• BettyBones
    BettyBones Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    haha I've found 11p in roadkill but I don't think that's going to help much... so the sofa might be next :rotfl:
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Thanks for my 1yr badge MSE Badger! Can't quite believe that I've been here for a whole year and have been trying to get rid of this debt for 4 years now!! :eek:
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm following your progress and cheering you on. I love your positive approach BB.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Awww... thanks Verbatim :) I am literally paying my bills, paying my debts and living on the bones of my bum from payday to payday to get this done. Nothing like doing it the hard way :rotfl:
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just stumbled across your diary and read it all through. You are a star, unbelievable progress and so determined. .get a microwave. .so much better for porridge beans peas scrambled and poached eggs. And cake.. even my wife can use it, especially making poridge boil over. Congratulations and if you are one month short then so what..get back and do it!
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • MoneyMission
    MoneyMission Posts: 652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go go BettyBones - I'm cheering you on from the sidelines.
    You're so nearly there I'm all excited for you! Your determination is awesome. Your collection of sachets is weird but we all have something right? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: And your use of Netflix and chill had me in stitches!
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Ahh... bless you Mnd and MoneyMission :)

Mnd... I love your comment that even your wife can use the microwave :rotfl: If I got one I don't think I would ever use it... it would just be one more thing that I would have to dust ;)
    MoneyMission...Netflix and Chill... I was mortified! I've always thought I was down with the kids... clearly not :rotfl:
    Having come this far, I think I'd be disappointed in myself if I departed for my holiday with even so much as £1 of debt, and I really do want to add my name to that debt free roll of honour before I go, so for these last 7 weeks it has to be just head down and get it done.
    Talking of my name.... I feel I should mention that 'Betty Bones' could not be further from my real name. When I joined this here forum I spent ages trying to think of a username and couldn't come up with anything so on a whim I vowed to use 'the pirate name generator' website and take whatever name it gave me. I put my real name in and it gave me Betty 'Shiver Me Timbers' Bones! Oh well... :rotfl:
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Have just read your diary from the beginning. Well done on your debt busting. What an inspirational read! I like your idea of monthly summaries and splitting debt into 1% chunks. Hope the next few weeks goes to plan for you so that you enjoy that cruise in the knowledge you are debt free.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Thanks Honey! :) Have just caught up with your diary and it amazes me how you manage to fit it all in... work, kids, allotment, baking, decorating etc... I feel tired just reading about it all :rotfl: You're doing great!!

Well it's the bank holiday weekend and I find myself with just £15.88 left to spend until next pay day, which is 2 weeks away! :eek: Damn you chocolate Easter eggs, damn you! It's not even Easter Sunday yet and I must have eaten about 7 eggs. I keep buying one for DS and stashing it away in the cupboard but I know it's there so I end up eating it. Then I go get another one, stash it in the cupboard, eat it, replace it, eat it, replace it... it's a vicious cycle :rotfl:

Was very MSE yesterday and shopped around for my car insurance quote. My renewal quote was just over £180 but by shopping around I managed to get exactly the same cover elsewhere for £148 :money::T Now I just need to find the money to pay for it. I've only accrued £15.75 in mileage expenses so far this month so it's looking like I will have to stick it on the CC and then clear it in the middle of May once I've accrued some more. Boo!

Happy Easter everyone! :)
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Oooo... the end is nigh! Getting super excited now. Can't believe that I've actually stuck to the plan and could potentially be debt free in just a matter of weeks now.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit manic but I think I've caught up now. 10 days ago I had just £15.88 left to last me a fortnight and I went and gave £10 of that to DS for a little camping trip he was going on over Easter, so ended up being left with just £5.88 to last me a fortnight :eek: Drastic measures were called for so I emptied my holiday savings account, paid off the balance on my holiday, which was a little more than I thought it was going to be, and that left me with £50. Paid £23.11 off my Tesc0 CC to bring me back up to date with my repayment plan on that and that left me with £32.77 until payday. I also caught up with my Xmas savings (£105.85 saved so far) and bought milk and a few bits and bobs so now have £12 to last me till this Friday. Should be doable as I don't think I have anything to buy for the rest of this week and nothing social planned.

I also went away with work this weekend. I had the option of taking the train but really need the mileage expenses so I drove instead. Not impressed with having to get up at 5am on Friday to set off but needs must. This will net me another £50.85 so once it lands in my account I will have £66.60 of the £148 I need to renew my car insurance. And with a longer work tripped scheduled for the beginning of May I should be able to cobble together the whole £148 without having to resort to sticking it on my credit card. Woohoooo!!! I'm starting to think that I'm actually going to make it. Barring any major hiccups, DFD is now less than 5 weeks away :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family