Drifting in a Sea of Debt

Options

Comments

• BettyBones
    Options
    OMG!.:eek: Well I most certainly haven't been getting down n dirty today :rotfl: I'm totally going to embarrass him by saying it all the time in front of his friends now though!! ;)
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
  • kerron7
    kerron7 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loving your diary, you are doing fab

Have subscribed
    Emergency Fund - £50/£500
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Another weekend over and back to work we go. Boo! I think that once I'm no longer a slave to the lender I want to start working on no longer being a slave to the employer!! So today I will be mostly dreaming of a life where I only work 3 days a week.

And as Walt Disney said.... 'If you can dream it, you can do it' :)
  • BettyBones
    BettyBones Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Debt totals last month:
    Tax Credits: £0.00
    Capital One CC: £0.00
    Santander CC: £0.00
    Halifax CC1: £0.00
    Halifax CC2: £2,060.00
    Tesco CC: £530.00
    Total Debt: £2,590.00

Debt totals this month:
    Tax Credits: £0.00
    Capital One CC: £0.00
    Santander CC: £0.00
    Halifax CC1: £0.00
    Halifax CC2: £1,545.00
    Tesco CC: £395.00
    Total Debt: £1,940.00

Payday yesterday and all the bills have been paid, debt repayments made and budget set so it's now just a case of sittiing tight, spending no money and waiting for the next payday to roll round. Why oh why are these last few months taking so long :mad: Extremely happy to be under £2,000 now but Lord is it dragging. I just want this debt gone, gone, gone! On a more positive note... the weather's getting better, the daffodils are out, it's still quite light at 6pm and I definitely feel that spring is in the air. I don't mind being skint so much when the sun's out, so roll on the sunshine :D
  • Disco_Dolly
    Disco_Dolly Posts: 196 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Great progress Betty, the end is in sight! :j
    LBM Jan 2014: €21,746.34
    Total Dec 2017: €0.00
    (Debt Free 29th Dec 2017)
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're smashing your debt, hope the final 2k just flies by!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,073.28 as of 05/24
    Pay off credit card by December 2024 - £392/£2,000
  • BettyBones
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies :)

Today was a NSD and I moved 92p from my current account to my Christmas savings account :j

I've been at a bit of a loss for something to do this evening so I thought I would count my 'Sachet Collection'. I know... sounds a bit weird and highly sad, huh?! Whenever I go away on a work trip I [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE] liberate the sauce, sugar, tea and coffee sachets etc from whichever hotel or restaurant I happen to be dining in for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I should point out that I don't wander off with huge handfuls of them but I do take two or three at a time. In my defence, I take them home with me because as a single person it's annoying to have to keep buying bottles and jars of this stuff and then throw most of it away because I only use a smidgen.

Anyway, this is my current stash (collected over a period of some months). I have:

5 Regular t-bags
    2 English breakfast tea t-bags
    2 Camomile t-bags
    4 Sticks of Nescafe
    5 Sticks of Nescafe Decaff
    2 Pots of Semi-Skimmed Milk
    3 Sachets of Tomato Ketchup
    3 Sachets of Salad Cream
    6 Sachets of Mayonnaise
    2 Sachets of Tartare Sauce
    2 Sachets of English Mustard
    3 Sachets of Vinegar
    13 Sachets of Salt
    13 Sachets of Pepper
    1 Pot of Raspberry Jam
    1 Pot of Strawberry Jam
    1 Pot of Honey
    2 Pots of Marmalade
    1 Pot of Apricot Jam
    1 Pot of Marmite

And this is how I know I have a problem.... I also have 57 sachets of sugar! And I don't even take sugar!! :eek:
  • BettyBones
    Options
    I've had a really lazy day today but have managed to sort out some financial bits and bobs. A couple of weeks ago I opened a Tesc0 current account on a whim to take advantage of the 3% interest and additional club card points. I liked the fact that I didn't have to switch from my existing account and there's no requirement to pay a certain amount in each month etc etc but I wasn't entirely sure what I was actually going to do with this account once it was opened.

Today, now that it's all set up and active, I've sorted it out and decided to use it purely as a 'Motoring Fund'. I've transferred the balance of my motoring fund from my existing account into it and at the start of each month I'll dump my monthly petrol budget in it too. The mileage expenses I claim from work can also go in here and these will cover the tax, MOT, servicing, insurance and repairs etc (hopefully!). Once I'm debt free I'll also start to dump some additional money in here each month to cover any additional motoring costs and start to save for a new (to me) car.
    My current car will be 10 years old next year so I reckon another 2 or 3 years and it'll be time for a new one. Although at the moment it's only done 70,000 miles so who knows, maybe I'll get it to 15 years before I have to chop it in? What is the average life span of a car these days? Is there a recommended age/mileage that one should get rid of it at? I definitely won't be able to sell it or trade it in at any point though. I have a penchant for reversing into posts and walls and things and the body work is a mess. I'm particularly fond of the massive dent I put in the front wing reversing in an underground car park. I went hard right totally forgetting about the post I'd parked next to. I really do need to use those mirrors more...... :eek:

Right... am off to make an enormous vegetable korma for dinner so I can portion out the leftover's and freeze for next week. Have a good evening everyone! :)
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Netflix and chill :rotfl:

Love your sachet / mini food haul. I'm with you on the being single and only needing a bit of something. I always nick ketchup sachets as I never buy a full bottle then if I have to make someone a bacon sandwich and they want ketchup, I feel very smug :D Could you make a cake with the sugar? I've been making the odd mug cake lately :)

Your so close to debt freedom :T:T
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • BettyBones
    Options
    'Netflix and chill' hahaha... I'm not saying that anymore. Can't believe I used to say it to my boss! :eek: 'What are you getting up to this weekend Betty' says my boss. 'Oh.. probably just gonna netflix and chill' says I :eek: I'm so ashamed...

Make a cake?! Moi?! That did make me laugh. Sadly my culinary skills are not just lacking, they're totally non-existent. I own a wooden spoon and a whisk but sadly neither of them has ever seen any baking action. I know where the wooden spoon is but I don't think I could tell you where the whisk is. Actually, I think I'm lying. I just had a look in the cupboards and drawers and I can't see the whisk so maybe I don't own one after all :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport