Tiscali email problem on Macbook

Options
13»

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My god, of course, I will give the Apple guys top rating. However, I not had a survey as yet.

Ironically, the guy that I spoke to in TT yesterday said that they are not set up to deal with Macs! He, and the woman I spoke to on Tuesday, did try somethings.

When I had a problem with my desktop, around 2006 or so, Tiscali refused to help as they knew nothing about Macs at all!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AJXX wrote: »
    If you get a survey request from Apple I really hope you give that guy a raving review for helping you with this.

Nah, it's already priced in if you buy an iDevice. :cool:
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    tronator wrote: »
    Nah, it's already priced in if you buy an iDevice. :cool:

I've got first hand experience of this and while that maybe true, these guys working on the front-line are ridiculously and harshly punished around these surveys.

I can assure you that giving the guy a positive survey will really help him out.

Similarly if you do give these guys a bad survey I'd think long and hard before you do so; as not only does it seriously impact their monthly statistics, it usually involves a 1 to 1 with a manager and sometimes loss of monthly bonus.

If this guy looses out £50 monthly bonus (for example) just because you give him a bad survey for being unable to fix a 3rd party complex email problem then I'd say you're a bit of an !!!! (not aimed at anyone on here personally).

Trust me, I've seen this first hand - people loosing significant bonuses around Christmas time all because some numpty didn't get their own way or made some ridiculous demand and took this out on the agent when they said no.

It's a completely potty system, but ultimately you're impacting someone's wages at the end of the day. It's not just dropped into some massive pool and never looked at; it IS looked at and action taken on it depending on good or bad.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Tiscali emails arrived this morning - all fine. Logged at 11 ready or my Apple call - damn things not workings! It had ticked 'use SSL'!

Anyway, spoke to the partner of my main helper and we got it sorted.

I asked about a feedback survey; they don't do it anymore. However, he gave me the manager's email. I sent an email immediately. Those guys are marvellous.

• AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Tiscali emails arrived this morning - all fine. Logged at 11 ready or my Apple call - damn things not workings! It had ticked 'use SSL'!

Anyway, spoke to the partner of my main helper and we got it sorted.

I asked about a feedback survey; they don't do it anymore. However, he gave me the manager's email. I sent an email immediately. Those guys are marvellous.

FYI: If it breaks again, there's a setting within mail "Automatically detect and maintain account settings in Mail on your Mac" that you might want to turn OFF.

It could be that it's turning on SSL automatically as it thinks it's supposed to be turned on.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204208

Surprised about the feedback thing though; must be a recent change!
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Here we go again! Getting emails on iPad, but not on MacBook.

I spent an hour with an Apple support adviser, to no avail. He eventually suggested I contact TT to check on their server. No luck there, but astonishing to me was the comment that they don't really offer support for email!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a screen shot of that comment. How do I do that on a MacBook, please?

I have a appointment with a local Mac expert for later. Crossing fingers.

• Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    To take a screen shot;

Cmd + Shift + 3

Or, to take a screen shot of part of the screen;

Cmd + Shift + 4

This will change the mouse pointer to a cross hair which you use to high light the area of screen you want. Screen shots are saved to the desktop.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    My session with the local expect has worked. Immediately he spotted that the server showed Talktalk when it should have been, and indeed was, Tiscali.

We had a hell of a job to alter it, as it was greyed out, but eventually succeeded.Or he succeeded I should say.

An excellent expert, Huw Evans of Mac3, in Denbigh. We've dealt with him for years and would highly recommend him to anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure