Tiscali email problem on Macbook

Options

Comments

• TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Pollypenny

if you need any help with this please contact us via our community on our website or via twitter (@TalkTalkCare) so we can take a look into this for you.

Thanks

Vicky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, Vicky, I will contact TT tomorrow.

The excellent Apple guy spent so long with me today, it's clearly a Tiscali problem.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Hi, Vicky, I will contact TT tomorrow.

The excellent Apple guy spent so long with me today, it's clearly a Tiscali problem.
    Use twitface , their community is not real-time
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Use twitface , their community is not real-time

If you mean TT's chat that's what I intend to do. I need real time.

• pollypenny
    Options
    Success at last. And thanks to all who responded.

I rang TT and had a helpful lady assist me. However, my main success is thanks to the great guy from Apple who spent 2 hours with me, with the result that I know my way around the system now.

Opening mail preferences, showed me that the incoming imap was set to Talktalk rather than Tiscali. It wouldnt let me put a cursor there to change it, but I had the confidence to suggest deleting the account and reloading it. It was on the reload that I saw TT.net come up again and was able to alter it.

Phew! Emails zinging in and out!

• TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Pollypenny,

I'm glad to hear this is now sorted, please let us know if you need anything.

Thanks,
    Abbie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Well, again my Tiscali. success has lasted just one day.

I've just logged on to find that the imap won't connect to the server! And it does show the correct server this time.

I cannot go through that performance of deleting the account and re-loading yet again! I'm losing emails, though important ones are being saved in a separate file.

I'll have to ring TT after eating.

• tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, again my Tiscali. success has lasted just one day.

I've just logged on to find that the imap won't connect to the server! And it does show the correct server this time.

I cannot go through that performance of deleting the account and re-loading yet again! I'm losing emails, though important ones are being saved in a separate file.

I'll have to ring TT after eating.

This post applies to your problem too :cool:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70439548#post70439548
  • pollypenny
    Options
    I have thought about a different email address and do use an iCloud one for anything that's a joint or family thing rather than my own stuff. However, i've just put off the faff of telling so many people and firms about a change, I suppose.

Update, TT said it has to be an Apple problem. Rang them and had an almost immediate call back from the same helpful guy. Under his guidance I put the Macbook in recovery mode. It worked when I unticked 'Use SSL'.

Yea gods, I hope it's the end of the saga.

• AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2016 at 12:20AM
    Options
    I have thought about a different email address and do use an iCloud one for anything that's a joint or family thing rather than my own stuff. However, i've just put off the faff of telling so many people and firms about a change, I suppose.

Update, TT said it has to be an Apple problem. Rang them and had an almost immediate call back from the same helpful guy. Under his guidance I put the Macbook in recovery mode. It worked when I unticked 'Use SSL'.

Yea gods, I hope it's the end of the saga.

If you get a survey request from Apple I really hope you give that guy a raving review for helping you with this.

From your posts they've spent an awful amount of time with you trying to fix a 3rd party email problem that isn't even really their responsibility, so far play to them.

I've worked in tech support before and TT/Tiscali email accounts are notoriously difficult to get working on any device. The last company I worked for even refused to assist if the customer had a TT/Tiscali email account as they where such a pain in the !!!!. TT/Tiscali are notorious for telling customers to speak to somewhere else and passing the buck rather than dealing with the issue themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure