IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

MPG car choice

in Motoring
18 replies 1.4K views
evansc1evansc1 Forumite
131 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi chaps/lass'

Currently have a 2005 2.0l Ford Focus hatchback which does around 35mpg on a motorway journey and a depressing 27.5mpg in and around town.

Few questions that I have been pondering whilst looking fora prospective new car. I want something that will be pretty economical, but also want something that is going to look really nice. A4 is top of the thought pile at the moment but know that all of the model variants have such contrasting TRUE mpgs - especially the S Line and Black Edition...which are naturally the best looking (imo).

Would really like an estate or small SUV around 1.4-2.0l. I'm thinking around £8k-£11k mark for something that is max 4-5 years old...

- Any advice on what to look for in a car to keep that mpg up? I know the likes of tyre size, engine size, auto/manual, petrol/diesel..that sort of thing but am sure there's plenty more that my car knowledge is missing!!

- Suggestions on what good models would be that fit the above? Like i say, A4 Avant would be my ideal but is in no way decided. Octavia Greenline seems a good choice too - a slightly less flash A4?

Mortgage - £124,903 Sept 2016-Jan 2017 OP target £1,750/[STRIKE]£1,550[/STRIKE]

Replies

• edited 31 March 2016 at 12:25PM
    EdGasketEdGasket PPR
    3.5K Posts
    edited 31 March 2016 at 12:25PM
    Mercedes W202 C180 has good mileage; around 48mpg on a run and they are cheap to buy too. But don't get the later W203; they are rubbish. Again with A4's you need an early model, 1.9TDI; the later ones have issues (like balancer shaft)!

Oh OK just read you want 4-5 yrs old; rules those out then but you could get a nice C180 for under £1K.
  • edited 31 March 2016 at 12:30PM
    k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 March 2016 at 12:30PM
    The biggest controller of economy is your right foot and in reality no comparisons (even real life) are going to give a representation that I'd be happy to buy a car based on.

My cars have varied between 2ltr/3ltr diesels and 2ltr petrols - mainly 200bhp+ autos but the worst of the lot was a 2ltr Lexus diesel manual which despite all the write ups/manufacturers claims was a good 5mpg down on everything else

In terms of trim levels (i.e. stating an S-Line/Blackline are less economical than base model) that's more likely to be to do with owners than big differences between the models (for the same engine) - yes wheel sizes may make a difference but that'll be more than offset by wind direction on a given day

My learning FWIW - choose the car you want that does what you ask of it by driving it - particularly given the drop in fuel prices and relative lower cost of motoring

If you're happy with an A4 of that era then don't rule out the Seat Exeo
  • Interesting posting history.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    £8k - £11k for a 4/5 year old car? My last car was 5 years old and cost me just over £2k.

My current one was 6 years old when i bought it and it was under £2k.

MPG isnt everything. You can get any modern diesel and they all go a decent MPG, but ive had diesels do less than 30mpg doe to the weather and traffic etc.
    And a modern diesel will have so much extra to go wrong any savings in fuel could be spent on repairs and extra servicing costs.

At least your not spending £10k to save £100 a year on the tax.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• evansc1evansc1 Forumite
    131 Posts
    Forumite
    k3lvc wrote: »
    The biggest controller of economy is your right foot and in reality no comparisons (even real life) are going to give a representation that I'd be happy to buy a car based on.

My cars have varied between 2ltr/3ltr diesels and 2ltr petrols - mainly 200bhp+ autos but the worst of the lot was a 2ltr Lexus diesel manual which despite all the write ups/manufacturers claims was a good 5mpg down on everything else

In terms of trim levels (i.e. stating an S-Line/Blackline are less economical than base model) that's more likely to be to do with owners than big differences between the models (for the same engine) - yes wheel sizes may make a difference but that'll be more than offset by wind direction on a given day

My learning FWIW - choose the car you want that does what you ask of it by driving it - particularly given the drop in fuel prices and relative lower cost of motoring

If you're happy with an A4 of that era then don't rule out the Seat Exeo

Thank you, really helpful. Sounds very obvious when you put it all that way!! Will be taking a look at the Exeo in a bit :)
    131 Posts
    Forumite
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Mercedes W202 C180 has good mileage; around 48mpg on a run and they are cheap to buy too. But don't get the later W203; they are rubbish. Again with A4's you need an early model, 1.9TDI; the later ones have issues (like balancer shaft)!

Oh OK just read you want 4-5 yrs old; rules those out then but you could get a nice C180 for under £1K.

Yeah seen in a few posts that the 1.9TDI gets a lot of praise so will have to bear that in mind. My limited car knowledge comes through ha
    131 Posts
    Forumite
    bigjl wrote: »
    Interesting posting history.

Guessing that isn't a compliment? haha

Care to explain your meaning? (Genuinely interested as to what you are pertaining to)
    131 Posts
    Forumite
    £8k - £11k for a 4/5 year old car? My last car was 5 years old and cost me just over £2k.

My current one was 6 years old when i bought it and it was under £2k.

As in 4 or 5 years old max :) Just personal preference - I'm sure you could find a car for £50k at that age if you were in the market for something that goes very fast and very high spec haha

At least your not spending £10k to save £100 a year on the tax.

If you are being sarcastic then no I'm not ;) I've never had a 'newer, slightly high spec' car and will soon have the opportunity to. That's all. However all being said, I would rather not pay £205 a year on tax (current Focus tax)...not sure who would aim to pay higher when they are after a more economical vehicle :p
    131 Posts
    Forumite
    bigjl wrote: »
    People tend to read into comments what they want to.

Why would you assume it was derogatory and not a compliment?

I think that says more about you than me.

Was simply asking as I was interested.

And didn't mention it being derogatory in the slightest. All I said was it didn't seem positive and was hoping for feedback as to why not if I was correct :)

Was trying to be friendly. Sorry if you thought otherwise...seems you read into my comment what you wished there :p
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    How many miles are you doing a year?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum