Buying Brakes Online

Pyro.
Pyro. Posts: 30 Forumite
So Eurocar parts seem to have a half decent offer on.
This would be the first time i've purchased online rather then heading into the store.
I've entered my registration in and now i am seeing results for just my car. However, why am i shown like 3 sets of brake pads?

Reading the fitment details, the expensive ones are little bigger and wider but my question is.. does it matter? Could i purchase the cheaper size or do i need the specific size?

Example below..
7_WFXb_Ig.png

Comments

• They're showing you a set of front brake pads as per the listing. There are four not three in each picture. Each side has an inner and outer pad in the calliper. Maybe you should take it to kwikfit or Halfords.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    when i ring my factor for pads and alternatives come up depending on spec of car and country of origin they send all relevant parts and i return parts not right
    how would you do that via postman?
    are you fitting parts yourself? you do know they only fit one way round not like the taxi driver who did his own a few years ago and came to see me as it sounded wrong everytime he braked
  • Pyro.
    Pyro. Posts: 30 Forumite
    I will be fitting them as always, just i've come across a few variations as in size for my model car.
    The example shows two sets. One more expensive than the other. The difference between them are the size (width/height)

My question, will either set fit my car regardless? If i purchased the top set no problems? or if i purchased the bottom?

Is it normal to get a few variations on sizes for the model of the car.

Thanks.
  • Pyro. wrote: »
    I will be fitting them as always, just i've come across a few variations as in size for my model car.e
    The example shows two sets. One more expensive than the other. The difference between them are the size (width/height)

My question, will either set fit my car regardless? If i purchased the top set no problems? or if i purchased the bottom?

Is it normal to get a few variations on sizes for the model of the car.

Thanks.

That's worrying, very worrying.

You thought four pads were three sets when you started the thread.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    i reiterate
    if you think pads of different sizes are not a problem should you be fitting pads?
    example
    clio pads mk 1 will fit vented and non vented models however when pads go to 3mm wear they can fly out of the hole and then your in one
    just like they did on ldv vans
    the list could go on but these are examples ive found over the years,there will be lots more i
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's worrying, very worrying.

You thought four pads were three sets when you started the thread.

I think you've misunderstood the OP. They are saying that the search comes up with 3 sets of four pads, although their example only shows 2 sets of four pads.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP, no you can't use whichever ones you feel like.

Entering your registration only lets the site know the year (of registration), make and model of your car. But the manufacturer may have used two or more different brake systems on that model around that time depending on exact specs / options / changes of supplier.

For example. if ABS was an option then an ABS equipped car may well have different callipers (and, so, different pads) than one without ABS. But the site has no way of knowing which of the possible options is fitted to your car so they show all possibilities.

The answer is to remove one of the existing pads and measure it / take a photo then compare with the images shown by the supplier.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need the set that fits your brake setup, there appears to be several options for your model and you need to choose the correct one.

Europarts have outlets, they are not online only.

They do have an online division which is even cheaper, but as mentioned i dont feel safe with you having changed your own brakes.

Your method would probably make interesting reading.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    Whys everybody laying in to op?!

Ok, he's probably not fitted pads to a vast range of vehicles, as such doesn't know why there are different variations. But that doesn't mean he's gonna force oversize pads in without any consideration to safety. He's trying to establish a way of determining which ones ARE the right ones without having the need to return and re-purchase pads online.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    As for your actual problem op, those two are completely different styles (in the way thy seat) looking at the picture. Best way to prevent buying the wrong ones is to whip your wheel off and take a photo, then enter you reg and find ones that look the same
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure