First Direct - service not so great anymore

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else has found this? I used to find nothing but brilliant reviews about this bank so I switched to them a couple of years ago and so did my husband. When I originally switched over to them I was really impressed because whenever I called them the would often answer the call immediately/ after one ring. Now I feel like I am forever waiting for the call to be answered. Last Summer I called to ask for some assistance with their new key log in system and I could hear the call handler muttering derogatory remarks about me under his breath. I was pretty disgusted at this. I found an excuse to cut the call short and then phoned back and made a complaint. Recently my husband and I decided to switch our joint HSBC account over to FD so that we could view all accounts when we log on and to make it easier to do our online banking. When I originally switched to FD the process was seamless. They took care of everything and it was done within a few days. I phoned them two weeks ago and they told me that they application had been referred for further credit referencing and to expect a call within two days. The call never came so I called them back and was told they had a back log of applications and to leave it to the end of the week. Still no phone call.

I have just tried to call them to find out whats going on with the application for the new account and gave up after waiting ages for someone to answer the call.

What is going on with this bank. They used to be so easy to deal with.

Comments

• I switched because I heard if the excellent customer service. On my first phone call I was on hold for 15 minutes however thereafter everyone I spoke with was super friendly and very chatty.

I'm completion date to switch is due to be 4th April and between then and now I've had a few calls, each time I've had a long wait on the phone. I presumed it was to be expected when it's a bank which is primarily based online and over the phone. interesting to hear your point of view.
  • jmillner wrote: »
    Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else has found this? I used to find nothing but brilliant reviews about this bank
    My feeling, they used to be great.

Now, compared to others:
    • Their offering is poor - no credit interest, and 0.04% interest on their standard saver (yay!).
    • Their online banking is old and clunky - even down to forcing opening a popup to use it
    • Their mobile app is cludgy and slow

I mean, their website has hardly changed in 10 years... (https://web.archive.org/web/20060404195243/http://www.firstdirect.com/index.html)

Sure, their people on the phone are friendly and polite, but when someone could have a £5000 balance in Lloyds earning 4% (£16.67 a month), I can't see why anyone would forgo that (and possibly pay FD £10 a month on top) to bank with them.

I get the feeling that they're going to eventually go the way of Cahoot, IF, One Account and the like, as innovative brands that didn't keep up, get closed to new custom, and slowly get neglected by their parent brands, as all their customers slowly die off.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The old maid only has the 6% Regular saver worth exploiting. And I suppose just keep the current account as a backup.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I've had an account with FD for yonks but rarely call them. Whenever I have had to speak to someone there I've never had to wait more than half a dozen rings and whoever has taken the call has been very helpful and friendly.

I've seen quite a few negative about them on this forum so it seems that my experience isn't always repeated. It's quite sad to see that they've let their standards slip but I'm going to stick with them for the foreseeable as the accounts that I maintain with them work very well for me.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • SuperAllyB
    SuperAllyB Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've recently switched to FD and had to phone them several times for different things. It's always taken at least 8-12 minutes to get answered although that's maybe because early evening is the only time that suits me to phone. Having said that, they couldn't be more helpful when they do answer so I just need to try and avoid situations where I need to phone them.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jmillner wrote: »
    Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else has found this? I used to find nothing but brilliant reviews about this bank so I switched to them a couple of years ago and so did my husband. When I originally switched over to them I was really impressed because whenever I called them the would often answer the call immediately/ after one ring. Now I feel like I am forever waiting for the call to be answered. Last Summer I called to ask for some assistance with their new key log in system and I could hear the call handler muttering derogatory remarks about me under his breath. I was pretty disgusted at this. I found an excuse to cut the call short and then phoned back and made a complaint. Recently my husband and I decided to switch our joint HSBC account over to FD so that we could view all accounts when we log on and to make it easier to do our online banking. When I originally switched to FD the process was seamless. They took care of everything and it was done within a few days. I phoned them two weeks ago and they told me that they application had been referred for further credit referencing and to expect a call within two days. The call never came so I called them back and was told they had a back log of applications and to leave it to the end of the week. Still no phone call.

I have just tried to call them to find out whats going on with the application for the new account and gave up after waiting ages for someone to answer the call.

What is going on with this bank. They used to be so easy to deal with.

Possibly unstaffed they are currently recruiting.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • lxworld
    lxworld Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    20 minutes and counting to get through - I was starting to wonder whether there was anyone on the other end!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    stclair wrote: »
    Possibly unstaffed they are currently recruiting.

At the time of creation there wasn't the same 24/7 online banking services available. FD has probably has its day and now primarily services luddites who aren't overly concerned about instant service. .
  • We applied for our mortgage in January when we had our offer accepted on a house. We are all chain free. Three months later and first direct haven't done the valuation because they keep changing the goal posts, losing our documents, asking for them again in a different format and making us jump through ridiculous hoops. So frustrated and angry at the time and money being wasted due to the incompetent way the company is run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure