Default from paid bill

I have recently looked at my credit report for the first time to see if I could be eligible for a mortgage. On the report I was surprised to find a default of an old orange phone account that I wish to dispute and would like removed to apply for a mortgage.

I recall that in 2013 when I was working away from home and my letters were not forwarded to me properly an orange mobile bill had been passed on to creditors. As soon as I detected this bill I paid the amount immediately in full and have a copy of the transaction on my bank statement from the time.

As I paid the amount I am confused as to why my credit report still mentions a default, as surely a default means non-payment. Is anyone able to explain for this and knows if I have any grounds to dispute this default to be stricken from the records and how such a thing could be achieved?

Unfortunately, apart this one item I completely satisfy all the other 19 requirements for a mortgage I had hoped to apply for immediately. Hence, please can I ask if anyone is able to give their opinion on how not satisfying this 1 requirement out of 20 could affect my chances of being approved for a mortgage?

Thanks.

Replies

• Ben8282Ben8282 PPR
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    Forumite
    By your own admission you defaulted on the account. The settled default will remain on your credit file for 6 years. End of story.
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I assume you mean passed on to debt collectors? By the time that happens, a default is usually pretty unarguable unless it was the company's fault in some way and not yours.

Responsibility is ultimately on you to make sure the bill is paid each month.

The fact of the default goes on you credit report, and paying a default does not undo that historical fact. It just results in it being marked as a satisfied/pad default.

Unless the mobile company did something wrong their end, it stays for 6 years from the initial recorded default date.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Thank you for your replys, but unfortunately they haven't helped as much as I would have liked as what I don't understand is why the default has been left on my credit report as outstanding and there is no indication of the amount being paid as this is unfair and gives a worse impression than the reality.

Also given this is just one of the 20 requirements that I fail, understandably a very big one, does it mean there is no hope of getting a mortgage?
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    If it has been paid in full, then the credit file entry should be updated to add that it has been satisfied.

If it hasn't, then make a formal complaint to the company listed on your report now as the creditor.

AS said though, marking as satisfied will not remove the original default and default status.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Yes I now realize all these details are part of the Status History codes, however I haven't been able to find any explanation of the Balance History code and wondered if you might know what these means?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals