IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Parking Charge Notice (PNC) outside Currys/PC World from Civil Enforcement LTD

Options
Hello,

As the title suggests, I received a PCN stating that i owe £60 within 14 days of receiving the notice or £100 otherwise for parking 10 minutes over a maximum 90 min free parking space. There was a reason for me being slightly late to my car but at the time I thought such a small amount of time wouldn't matter.

Even though they have stated timestamps I am unaware if they actually have any photo/video proof of this (Although there are two makeshift cameras attached to lamp posts in centre of the car park, im not sure if they actually work). There is no information on the notice regarding paying to get photo/video evidence and only states:
"FAILURE TO PAY THE AMOUNT DUE WITHIN 28 DAYS OF THE ISSUE DATE MAY RESULT IN CIVIL ENFORCEMENT LTD FORWARDING YOUR ACCOUNT TO A DEBT RECOVERY AGENCY AND YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL COSTS"

The use of the word 'MAY' here got me thinking as to what they can actually do and after reading a few posts (some old) I got the impression that ignoring this sort of 'invoice' more so then notice is what people have done previously.

I just want some advice or experience maybe outlining what I should do as I feel like 10 minutes over seems harsh plus I have a valid reason. I thought of appealing but some people have stated that they will simply reject it so I haven't done.

Is this just a way of private parking companies getting a quick £60 off people without any discussion?Any help would be welcomed, thank you!

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then appeal as KEEPER as directed using the BPA template in blue, exactly as it is. Nothing added, nothing taken away. Copy and paste, that's it.

If this was a windscreen ticket, don't appeal too soon. The NEWBIES thread tells you why.

Do not ignore it, but do not pay it. Ignoring has been bad advice since the law changed in 2012.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • HideLemon
    HideLemon Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!

It wasn't a windscreen ticket, they mailed me the notice through the post. Ill look at that thread thanks. I don't want to pay it but won't ignore it if you say so. I guess that thread will explain what to do?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It does indeed, and you can just email CEL the template. Often they then fold at the first try.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • HideLemon
    Options
    Coupon-mad you are a legend! Thanks I will get on it.

Great thread as well found it really helpful!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CEL are just another scam company who practice extortion

Unfortunately, the people who own these setups are run by complete low life

Who knows if these ANPR cameras are correct ???

CEL SAID .....
    "FAILURE TO PAY THE AMOUNT DUE WITHIN 28 DAYS OF THE ISSUE DATE MAY RESULT IN CIVIL ENFORCEMENT LTD FORWARDING YOUR ACCOUNT TO A DEBT RECOVERY AGENCY AND YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL COSTS"

Stupid comments designed to scare and suck you into the scam.

IF ... and only if, you appeal and lose at POPLA, the only thing that will happen is that you start to receive pointless debt collector letters which you IGNORE.
    Silly really, the additional costs will be fake from the debt collector.

If they wish to send out toilet paper that is their choice.
    The debt collectors used by this scamming industry have ZERO power. For CEL to even attempt to recover any money, it is they who must take you to court and they will probably lose because of the advice on this forum.

And what happens when CEL do this ....

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=cel

I note you say outside Curry's, you really need to bring this to the attention of Curry's head office.
    It does not matter if this time, you did not spend with Curry's, you are still a potential customer who might go to Argos instead.

Curry's recently had huge problems with another scammer being UKPC who are actually a fraudulent company

Curry's should know the methods CEL use citing what happened with the Co-op.

CEL is a sure fire way for retailers to lose business. Scary that the scammers like CEL seem to think they are more powerful than the CEO of the retailer
  • HideLemon
    Options
    CEL just seem like such a fickle company and reading some of the stories on the parking prankster blog it seems they will go to some lengths to be shady and trick people into getting money. I've emailed their appeal email with the template and hopefully this should be put to bed.

Is it worth contacting Currys as well? Would it help in any way?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, especially if you spent a lot or were 'considering' a large purchase and this has lost them your custom (lay it on thick).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HideLemon wrote: »
    CEL just seem like such a fickle company and reading some of the stories on the parking prankster blog it seems they will go to some lengths to be shady and trick people into getting money. I've emailed their appeal email with the template and hopefully this should be put to bed.

Is it worth contacting Currys as well? Would it help in any way?

You are too kind to these scum. They are scammers and low life.

Normally we say to contact the CEO if you have a receipt and demand it is cancelled.

Whilst you are appealing and taking the good advice here .....

You have heard of "digging the knife in and turning it 180 degrees"

You can do this all over, Curry's, local press (showing the prankster page) twitter and facebook.

The parking scammers are only limited to threaten you, they do not send the boys around ... but you, have amazing power to black ball Curry's or any retailer who uses the common scammer who call themselves CEL

If you are that way inclined and your friends are, give the scammers grief, do it legally though.

Scammers are like a bully, ask to meet them face to face and they crawl back in their dirty hole
  • HideLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm going to contact Currys/PC World and let them have it. You guys are awesome for advice!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    part of your popla appeal will be GRACE PERIODS , clause #13

they allow for an unspecified time to enter, park and read the signs , say 5 to 10 minutes , plus OVER 10 minutes to leave the car park

other appeal points will also be used too, assuming they dont fold at the first appeal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport